The Planted Tank Forum banner

Do!aqua Plant Glass Cube20: Might

67K views 374 replies 79 participants last post by  Mortarion 
#1 · (Edited)

I just set this tank up today.

This is what ADA calls a "Plant Glass Cube". It's twenty centimeters cubed; a bit over two gallons.

I know what you're thinking.
The driftwood should be a bit to the left. Right now, I think so, too.
Once the plants grow in, however, I think it'll be right where it should.

_____
Notes:
For the complete line of Do!aqua tanks, go here.(Japanese only; as of this writing, the English site does not list all products. If you need translation help, just ask.)

See less See more
#341 ·
Thanks, Aqua and becks!
becks, the diffuser works fine with DIY CO2. It sounds like you might have gotten a bad one. Although I will say that Do!aqua quality is not quite as high as ADA. Then, what is--?

I'm a bit sleepy so this post'll be short.

I just added the remainder of the 'Belem' I got from Monark to the back. Planting is now officially complete.
I angled the light a bit more severely in order to reveal more of the details of the plantscape. The coolest thing about the plantscape right now are the itsy bitsy 'Petites'. They're rad when they're so small.

In this tank are Eleocharis 'Belem', Mini Pellia, Fissidens Nobilis, Anubias Nana 'Petite', and Mini Christmas Moss.
Slow growers with attitude.

So tiny!

Angled shots like this are the planted tank equivalent of glamor shots taken at the mall.
You know the kind. Where the whole family is in the photo wearing identical sweaters.
Still, they're fun so I'll keep doing them.
The angled shots. Not the sweaters.

#344 · (Edited)
Thanks, Cl! I appreciate that. Due to the relative lack of responses to this journal, I'm not exactly certain how this one is perceived with most persons here.

Yesterday, I was looking though this tank's journal. Back in it's prime as Quasi-Wabi, This was a beautiful tank, if I do say so myself. Might -- as I renamed it's current iteration yesterday -- can't really hold a candle to what the tank was. It does not have the life, vitality, and subtle details that Quasi had.

And that is why I named it Might. I feel the word best represents what I see in this tank: The image of power silhouetted by the standing rock, that of a fist held high; and it also represents that which affects all of us in this life: possibility -- for better and worse.

I'm getting too philosophical so early on a Sunday morning. Sunday mornings are best experienced visually.

Off topic:
Does anyone know anything about the Psathyrella aquatic?

I want these!

#345 ·
Whenever I see this tank in it's new iteration, the first thing I think of is time. I keep wanting to see it 2, 3, 5 months from now. Because, like you said, I see the possibility of what it can (and hopefully will) be. I do see a lot of things going right so far.

Seems like everyone has a kind of style when they are making their tanks. The style I most associate with UG tanks is detail work. While you may not see this tank having as much detail as you might usually like, others are sitting there thinking about how awesome it is the way that bit of moss hangs off the rock. Or maybe it's the way you didn't just pick any ole Petite Anubis, but one with the smallest leaves you could find.

Like I said, time. Especially once that MP starts to take off. That'll just be awesome.

#346 ·
Thanks, Outlaw! I appreciate you saying that. Speaking of details, by upping the ISO on my camera, I was able to capture more of the details.

I know what you're thinking. Good lord, how many photos of the same tank can Ugly post--?

Uh huh.

Yesterday, I added Fissidens Nobilis to the main rock and swapped out the ten-thousand k bulb for a sixty-four hundred k I had lying around. I ordered a thirteen watt eight-thousand k bulb from ebay. Eight-thousand k's the best-looking spectrum in my opinion. (Or EyeEmOh.)

Anyway, I promise, no more photos for at least a day.

I swear.

#347 ·
The one rock has like 5 different species of plants. Radical.

UG, from the looks of it, Eleocharis 'Belem' has slightly thicker strands of "hair" compared to dwarf hairgrass. Is this true? Also how tall does it grow? I'm looking for a DHG like plant but want it to get taller than DHG. I could never grow it over 2 inches long but that was with high light. I want it to reach the top of my mini-m.

Anyway, tank looks amazing as usual. That MP foreground is going to be great when filled in.

#351 ·
I've taken to calling him LG; it stands for "Little Guy".
I found him in Source's Eheim. He's a RCS.

When I scooped him out of what had been his dark, cramped home, he was pale and tiny. Not a speck of red on him. Sickly-looking, but not defeated, you could tell the little mofo was a fighter. Tough.
As my hand came in to scoop him out, he wasn't all that scared. He jumped into my palm as if he were expecting me. "What took you?"
"Sorry, I didn't know you were in there."
"Well, I was. Now get me outta here. It smells like crap in there." As I removed him from the canister, he gave a startled jolt. "Whoa, whoa, whoa--! What's that?!" He covered his eyes with his claws.
"What?"
"That! That...stuff! It friggin' hurts."
I look around until it hits me. "You mean the light?"
"The what--?"
"Light."
"Well, what ever it is, it friggin' hurts. Get rid of it."
"I can't get rid of it. It's the middle of the day."
"Fine. Whatever. Just get me out of this thing."
I dropped him in Might.

It's been a week and some that he's been in there. Initially, he wasn't too fond of me or his new home. He spent much of the time hiding in the shadows of the rocks and whenever I came by, he'd make himself scarce quick. I can't say I blame him. Until then, he had spent most of his life in the dark with no where to move. I'd be a little leery of people, too.

What a difference a few days will make. He's now adjusted to his new home and the little mofo loves it. I have never seen a shrimp actually play, but LG does. He rides the relatively strong current of the ZooMed as if it were a roller coaster. He will find the spot where the current starts the strongest and then send himself in a lap around the tank. As he's careening across the front of the glass, I can almost see him smile and hear him laugh.

After LG lands, he comes back to the spot where the current is the strongest and does it again. Over and over.

Occasionally, LG will stop to eat and rest, but eating does not seem to be his number one priority as it is for most shrimp.

LG looks like his reason for being is to live life as much as he can for as long as he can.

Much can be learned from even the smallest of things.

This is LG.
It took me eight shots to get this one photo. He moves around
that much.

#353 ·
Thanks, Amazon! A six inch cube, huh? That's a really good challenge.
Here's a secret with really small nanos. First, you've got to accept the fact that hardscaping these things is the most difficult part. Finding suitable and attractive wood and rocks is really, really hard.
That said, balancing small tanks to optimal levels tech-wise is a snap. On a six in cube, drop an inch of AS as the substrate, nine watts of twin-tube CF light, a ZooMed 501 for a filter (it's not too much), and DIY CO2 and you will have the most healthy tank you could ever want. With all that, the tank could be perfect for virtually any plant you could want to grow. Keep the hardscape light and trimming is not going to be a hand-cramping chore, either; Might's layout was thrown down with just such a consideration in mind.

I wanted this to look like a landscape and something was missing. I decided to use Mini Riccia as it's meant to be used: floating. It looks like a cloud floating over a mountain range.

Things are going will in Might. No much has changed, but that was kind of what I wanted when I set it up. The only problem with this approach is that updates are not all the woo-hooish.

#359 ·
Thanks, Doll and fish!

Might's doing well. Not much changes from day to day, but I'm enjoying the tank. LG's still doing his laps and that's about the most excitement this slow-growing tank sees.

There! I just noticed LG. See him above the grass? That's him doing one of his laps. He does that all the time.
Over the grass, around the rock, above the MP, and then he does it all over again.
Dude's a trip. (Although "Little Guy", might actually be a chick. I'll know in a few months.)

I changed some of the camera settings to better show the details of the tank. I changed the EV to 0 where it was -2.0. I have no idea what this means, but it made the photos brighter.

I may end up stocking this tank with Thai Microcrabs. I hear they're quite shy and you barely see them, but they're cute. So I might.

#362 ·
LG's still doing his laps and that's about the most excitement this slow-growing tank sees. He does that all the time.
Over the grass, around the rock, above the MP, and then he does it all over again.
Dude's a trip. (Although "Little Guy", might actually be a chick. I'll know in a few months.)[/I].
If you like watching shrimp go round and round try a round tank. When I 1st setup the curvilinear II I had a shrimp that would go round and round and round and round and round. Once the plants started growing it stopped doing laps.

#363 · (Edited)

Inspired by Honda

EDITED TO INTRODUCE A SMALL CHANGE FROM THE ABOVE PHOTOS

Just got this.
I
think the moss on the top of the rock is Mini Rose Moss, but I'm not certain.
I got it today at AFA. It was labeled as Unknown Moss.
It's smaller than Mini Rose, but it could be in its emersed state.
BTW, I picked the wrong day to go to Japantown. Cherry Blossom Festival. Super crowded.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.