The Planted Tank Forum banner

tetras attacking my new crs

5K views 42 replies 18 participants last post by  Koro-chan 
#1 ·
what the heck put in 25 beautyful crs yesterday and immediatly my neon/rummynose/and 3 other types of tetras start swarming like they are piranhas i had to defend with a net several times. the crs were bite sized. does any body know how to stop this im about to ditch all this fish. no body messes with baby crs nobody. and just saw it again a real small one ventured out into hc and wham idk if they got him but he disipeared

#8 ·
Unfortunately once the fish figure out how good shrimp taste, they will not stop eating them.

I had cherries with my rose line sharks and ember tetras for about 8 months before they figured out how a shrimp tastes. Guess what, 2 days later there were zero shrimp left. Haha.. About 500 or more cherries gone overnight after 8 months of peace.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
ok
ph-idk
kh-idk
gh-idk
co2 level-idk
and idk to the rest

seriously
cherry reds berried and seen babies
ghost shrimp berried and babys
crs berried - idk cause these

co2 gives me low ph
plants and cycle gives me 0 for nitrates amm and everything else
temp is 75
shrimp all molt so idk seems preety good

wanted diversity in tank hence 4 types shrimp /snails/ 4 types tetras/ endlers live bearers/ otos

#11 ·
dont the crayfish eat the shrimp?

i got crs cause i like the look not really into going nuts over my water. so i dont
they all are alive and berried and molting they eat alge i got plenty of that hahah. i figure if i get enough. the ones that survive will be strong. but so far havent had any shrimp die just the dam fish attacking them.

i do my water changes.

#13 ·
My quotes exactly, best of luck. You should know your water conditions no matter what you have in the tanks. Fish shrimp or anything. Helps identify issues and if you can keep types of fish and inverts together.

Good luck sounds like you might be throwing money away.

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
guys i know im new to shrimp. and a bit of a [language removed by moderator]. i have red all comments and will be doing what was said. the fish are bye bye.
shrimp tank only
can i get more otos? or are they trouble too
are there any smaller types of fish i can keep. ones that cant get there mouths on my little shrimp?
yes the crs i got some were berried. they all were fine. still are and eating what ever they eat fish flakes/alge.
will get a test kit if i have to. will wait and see. ik stupid move.
sorry for being abrasive. text doesnt have emotion.
thx for all the awnsers.

#26 ·
guys i know im new to shrimp. and a bit of a ass. i have red all comments and will be doing what was said. the fish are bye bye.
shrimp tank only
can i get more otos? or are they trouble too
are there any smaller types of fish i can keep. ones that cant get there mouths on my little shrimp?
yes the crs i got some were berried. they all were fine. still are and eating what ever they eat fish flakes/alge.
will get a test kit if i have to. will wait and see. ik stupid move.
sorry for being abrasive. text doesnt have emotion.
thx for all the awnsers.
Get rid of all the fish you have in there. I don't like fish in any of my shrimp tank but I don't usually tell someone what to keep in their tanks.

No biggie.. beginner mistake. Better luck on the next batch.

#20 ·
Glad I'm not the only one who feels like it is appropriate to leave it at good luck, but I did want to respond to something..

Jamie, I think he may have sarcastically been responding to one of my links in my signature, as I to this day do keep shrimp with a crayfish.

I don't mind the sarcasm. When I get SSS shrimp in a month or so, I know they'll be good for a long time because I spent a good 5 months setting their aquarium up for them to live alone.

#21 ·
Ooooooooooooooo, gosh I was scratching my head on that cray comment.

pirayaman, otos should be fine. Those are the only fish touted as being 100% shrimp safe though. There are others that SOME have luck with (some, not all) but that's going to be up to you if you are willing to risk the shrimp.

CRS just are a bit pickier than neos and its good to read up on the parameters they need because you will possibly just be throwing money out the window otherwise. I've jumped the gun myself and bought things without knowing what I was getting into...lost quite a bit of money. I've learned to slow down a little bit now...though not by much. LOL! Glad you got the fish out of there, now figure out your parameters and if you need to alter anything and you'll be good to go. If you want to not 'mess with your water' then cherries may be the simplest thing...even then though the wrong parameters can be bad for them as well. Keeping shrimp is FAR more difficult than any fish I've ever kept..much more focus on water parameters and such involved that I thought there would be.

#23 ·
also, don't think just because the fish is smaller than the shrimp or that their mouth is too small to eat a whole shrimp they are safe. Not the case, I made the mistake of trying some of my adult rcs with Dario Dario as an experiment, and would have NEVER thought they could handle an adult shrimp...not the case. Instead they waited til they molted and were nice and soft, and hello fat happy Dario. Didn't believe it til I caught one in the act of dismantling a full grown female rcs that had a fresh molt right next to it. If your not doing ottos or bristle plecos, I say your asking for trouble, it's just a matter of time. On a side note, very pretty shrimp and goodluck!

#25 ·
ive had baby bristlenose eat cherry shrimp before so i wouldnt go with them. i do have Heterandria formosa (least killie) in with some of my crs and so far so good. but then again they as adults get about the size of an adult crs too. there are a couple micro fish i have heard of that are ok but never tried them and for the life of me can think of any of the names right now

#28 ·
I hav tons of Amanos. Crs and Rcs mixed in with jumbo neons. Rummynose and rasboras. Absolutely no problems. All breeding.
see thats what i thought i wasnt the only one. my 29 was whey heavier planted. when i switched tanks to this 40 breeder i found babies cherry shrimp that i never saw before. also i planed on getting cooler plants so i didnt use everything from the 29. didnt want the problem of pulling well rooted plants from mgops and making a mess.
i know i had 20+ crs from babies to almost adult size. i can only count 6 bigger ones now. and i spend hrs searching cause the babies were the best. and i know if they are smart they will hide

#29 ·
As Liam mentioned above, all can be peaceful for months. Then, bam, they develop a taste for shrimp and it's all down hill... literally overnight.

Before anyone considers keeping shrimp - especially something with specialized water parameter needs like Crystals - please read through the shrimp sticky and know what you're doing before you have shrimp in your possession. It'll make your life easier and your critters will thank you.

#30 ·
As Liam mentioned above, all can be peaceful for months. Then, bam, they develop a taste for shrimp and it's all down hill... literally overnight.

Before anyone considers keeping shrimp - especially something with specialized water parameter needs like Crystals - please read through the shrimp sticky and know what you're doing before you have shrimp in your possession. It'll make your life easier and your critters will thank you.
Yup.. my SAE developed a taste for shrimp and it wiped out my entire population of 100+ amanos.

#32 ·
hey thx i was thinking maybe pygme corys too. maybe an ave to travel.
i did keep the 3 otos even though advised against it. everything else is gone. guess ill just have to get crazier plants to make the tank more intresting while the shrimp lay babies
also having my water tested at lfs to see gh kh and tds what else?. ph i think is fine but from co2 but ill find out for sure. and the rest are probly 0 due to plants and cycle

#35 ·
i just gave the lfs 50+ worth of tetras back. and a couple hrs later my new crs started coming out of every where am only counting 9 better than the 6 i thought were left. out of 20-25 but still much better than none.

they are doing great otherwise all eating and being awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.