The Planted Tank Forum banner

What earphones do you use?

10K views 151 replies 62 participants last post by  tiggity 
#1 · (Edited)
Most of us spend several hours a week commuting to work. Those that take public transportation likely listen to music, watch videos (or sleep):icon_cool

I'm getting bored of my shure earbuds and are looking to upgrade. What is everyone using with your smart phones, and mp3 players?

Just some background on the buds i have.
Shure E5C
Shure E4
Etymotic HF5
Sony MDR-EX70LP 20th Anniversary fontopia earbuds
Sony MDR-ES310LP (currently using)

Was considering some dual or triple driver earbuds but there arent' any that have really stood out atm.

#84 ·
Why does all the good things in life have to cost so much? Gahh!

Once I get a job, I will save for a $100-$150 pair, but I'll play with the Panasonics I am getting and see if it will hold me over until then.

#85 ·
Why does all the good things in life have to cost so much? Gahh!
Yeah, no kiddin'. If they don't, I really think that the Sony XB500 will be the best bet. I've been looking at them myself since last night, seems that $50-60 is about the average going price for them at the moment. If I find a better deal on them, I'll post up just in case you're interested or if anyone else is interested.

#86 ·
Maybe. I got these panasonics today and I am listening on them right now. So far, its okay, but geared far more to the higher notes. It has decent bass but not like I am wanting. I do have to say I love the feel of them. They are VERY comfortable.

#87 ·
Not to completely hijak this thread or anything... but maybe just a little.

I've always wanted a couple good pairs of headphones... what would you suggest?

Listening Material:
- A few video games
- Movies
- Audiobooks of varying qualities (Often LibriVox)
- A bit of music (country, rock a little metal)

Listening locations:
- In airport
- On plane (Couple times a month)
- In somewhat noisy truck
- At desk at work
- On couch beside wife (I have no intention of listening to her soap operas, reality tv shows, etc. but I do prefer to hang out with the family, even if I'm watching/listening something else)

Basically, they have to be conveniently portable, and be able to handle the outside noise when I travel.

Budget: up to about $80-$100.
Style: I have none... Oh, wait; prefer on/over ear, but earbuds a possibility.

Thanks for any advice!

#89 ·
How did I not see this thread before. High fidelity music is another one of my hobbies :)

I'm currently using a pair of Denon AD-2000 with a Fiio E17 as DAC/amp out of my laptop listening to FLAC. I have some Audio Technica A700x as well as a pair of Hifiman ReZero's (inner ear) for outdoor listening.

Maybe the Hifiman's ReZero would be good for you (they are inner ear). Since you have a lot of locations that you use your headphones at, I assume portability is an issue. In addition, anything open would be out of the question, since you listen to them at work, on the airplane, etc and wouldn't want to disturb the people next to you (again, I assume...)

If portability is not an issue, there are always some closed headphones (Audio Technica M50s, etc) that you might be able to snag at that price range if they are on sale/open box.

#90 ·
My nicer earbuds are Klipsch Image S4's, which are the only higher end ones, within my budget, that I liked. They have a really nice balance of lows, mids, and highs on both my macbook and galaxy nexus. They also seem much more comfortable since I use them for hours on end, and sound isolation is decent so the levels can stay lower. I don't use any audio enhancements with them, generally a flat eq. sounds really good somehow.

The other pair I have are skullcandy titans which are a little heavier on the bass, but aren't bad overall. They get used on my phone when I am out on the road bike since I don't want something to happen to the Klipsch headphones. Someday, it would be nice to have a good pair of over-the-ear headphones.

#93 ·
Oh dang.. Why did production stop? They're in my budget but they're too expensive overall for right now. I hope either they or their equivalent is around in a year when I look for a job.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#95 ·
I think it was just because Denon wanted to make more money. They released a new line of headphones (try a search for AH-D600EM), but gosh, they look ugly to me.

I'm not sure how long they will be around for, I guess it depends on their demand. Once the old stock is gone, they won't be getting replaced.

There are similar headphones to the AH-D2000, but they are more expensive.

#103 ·
I don't know of many. I know Beats do. They're like Apple certified.

But I also know beats aren't highly regarded here. I personally like my set.

They simply don't get high marks here.

MABJ's iDevice used for this message :p

#106 ·
This thread should be everyone's first place to visit for reviews on IEM's (In-ear monitors, or "earphones" that go into your ear canal).

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/

At the moment, the thread has 265 IEM's reviewd.

This thread is for headphones. Same reviewer, but a bit "smaller". Currently at 105 headphones.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/433318/

#112 ·
Hope this is a joke.
The new apple earpods that come with the iPhone 5 are not as bad as the ones all the previous iterations. When I (finally, LOL!) broke my Klipsch S5i, I couldn't find my VSonic GR07 at first, so I actually spent a good 2 weeks with these apple ear things.
- There is zero noise isolation, so it's good when you need to be aware of your surroundings, but bad if you want to hear your music in a noisy environment.
- It tends to fall of my ears easily. On the upside, no cable noise (IEM owners know this LOL!)
- They did bump up the mid-bass quite a bit here, so hip-hop and pop lovers would be very happy. Unfortunately, it's just mid-bass, so there's no lower sub-bass rumble.

Now that I found my VSonic GR07, the apple earphones definitely are lacking in the mids and instrument separation/clarity. The highs seem to be okay in the apple earphones, but it's hard to judge that right now as the VSonic GR07 is very good in high's, but sometimes can be borderline sibilant.

At the end of the day, "sound quality" will always be subjective. I do not consider myself an audiophile, at all. I'm just someone who has read a little more about and listened to a few more IEM's and headphones than the "average joe".

#122 ·
My Sennheiser HD430 set is approaching 40 years of age now (I've had to replace foam a couple of times - is cheap & easy to do), still sounds awesome. Their over the ear design is still among the most comfortable around.

I hate ear buds, I seldom use 1/8" jack headphones - prefer using the car's stereo.

Given my experience w/ Senns, I'd look there first for a "public transportation ready" set.

#127 ·
oo that does sound like a fun endeavor

keep in mind analog does not mean it has tubes, just that it processes signal in an analog format. not digital
digital = has processor to determine where and how to code music and which amplifier/ transistor it goes to.. = thinks too much about performing.
analog = responds to + responses in power. and frequency determines where that little packet of power is transformed.. its only a response device, it cannot think. it only performs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.