The Planted Tank Forum banner

Picotope 3g upgraded=10g

23K views 148 replies 23 participants last post by  PV1191 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I placed an order to a heater on dr.foster&smith for a heater and got something a little extra too. Thinking of doing a nano reef or shrimp tank but don't know yet.

Picotope
3 Gallon Aquarium Kit

Marineland
Visi-Therm Heater

See less See more
#124 ·
Well my fish vanished because I can't find him nowhere even moved the LR a little to see if he would come out but nothing that's weird. I just want to let anybody thinking of starting a nano SW tank that they should start with something bigger first and decide later if this is for them. This tank is pretty hard to keep stable and it don't help with out a lid.

#125 ·
Check the surrounding area, he might have gone carpet-surfing if something spooked him.

Reef Tanks require a special view of its life-cycle and the diverse eco-system it contains. I know with Fresh Water I could look at any small invasive fauna and just go "Eh" and get rid of it. With Saltwater though there is a large diversity which first fascinated me. There's little surprises in all LR you obatin such as:
-Sponges
-Feather Dusters
-Corals
-Tube Worms
-Mamma Mia Worms
-Bristle Worms
-Aptasia
-Gorgonians
-Barnacles
-Clams
-Mantis Shrimp
-Amphipods
-Copepods
-Hairy Crabs
-Decorator Crabs
-Macro Algae
-Snails
-Mini Stars

and the list could go on forever. I feel like Newman took a little bit of an extremist approach on the dangers of these fauna. Almost none of these will do any harm and none of these cause serious damage. Now if you have sensitive skin, you will get irritation and some burning sensation if you touch LPS corals, but if you have skin tougher than a baby....THEY WILL NOT STING YOU I got stung once from my frogspawn, thought I was going to die..... still alive, go me. After that I can swirl LPS between my finger tips like batons without feeling it. But the Zoanthid toxins are a serious danger, but only if you plan on fragging them.

I say stick with it but if you don't wanna put in the extra effort than you can tear it down. You're doing a good job so far though!

#128 ·
Np,

I would highly doubt it. If anything it might have died of natural causes and the peppermints ate the corpse. Otherwise you would be surprised out how well some fish can hide. They can sometimes disappear for weeks and reappear for no apparent reason.

#130 ·
If you don't want any evaporation then you'll have to add a piece of acrylic or glass over the aquarium. Or you can get an ATO which on a tank that size means very infrequent needs to top off your aquarium.

#132 ·
with saltwater it really is all about patience. I had a 12 gallon biocube set up for 5 years with a mated pair of clownfish and various soft corals and it was slow to start. You wont have a "finished" looking tank after a few months unless you have tons of money for corals. The best advice I can give is to just be persistent. It seems like every few days you want to scrap it or change it or something just get it stable start with easy corals like zoanthids or mushrooms and pay close attention to top off.

Did you ever find your fish btw? a pistol shrimp/goby combo would be awesome in a tank that size

#138 ·
If you ever get a deeper sandbed you could get something like a Yasha Goby and small pistol shrimp or get a yellow head jaw fish.

Firefish are notorious carpet surfers so you would need a glass canopy or wire mesh cover.

#142 ·
Hello.

Nice tank. I recommend you to put more rock before you ad fishes. Your tank can hold only one more fish and I think is too much. I have a 20 gal tank and I have only 2 fishes a few snails, a crab, a shrimp, and a ophiura sea star. I have mushrooms corals in majority and I have with them like 8 years. You need to be patient I hope you success with this tank. I recommend you only keep this clown fish and buy other small invertebrates. Or take out the clown fish and buy 2 small fishes but first buy more cured rock. Do you have skimmer? I leave you a link so you can see my tank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS-Xj6JQ1Wk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enviado desde mi Nexus 7 usando Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.