Low Tech 29G - Few Questions - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 08-10-2013, 06:37 AM   #61
thebuddha
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)

im using a coralife t5no fixture. very small/sleek and pretty cheap. bad news is that i have gone through a few bulbs. i would consider my lighting to be low-light, and my fixture is sitting right on the rim.

I would choose a finnex fugeray if I were to buy a new light. that or a current LED set up (these might be too much light, but you can tone it down with window screen)
thebuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2013, 03:44 PM   #62
Gootz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben! View Post
The Zoomed light fixture comes with cables to hang it, which is one of the reasons I bought it. The only thing you have to do is buy a couple of hooks to screw into the ceiling to hold the wires but other than that everything is included. The hooks should cost less than $10. Right now I don't have any pictures of my tank but with the light hung about 8 inches above the tank, it covers everything and there are now shaded areas on the sides of the tank.
Appreciate the description. When you say there are now shaded areas, what do you mean by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuddha View Post
im using a coralife t5no fixture. very small/sleek and pretty cheap. bad news is that i have gone through a few bulbs. i would consider my lighting to be low-light, and my fixture is sitting right on the rim.

I would choose a finnex fugeray if I were to buy a new light. that or a current LED set up (these might be too much light, but you can tone it down with window screen)
I like the idea of the dual t5s, but having to get new bulbs every 2-3 years can add up and make LEDs more attractive.
Gootz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #63
Ben!
Algae Grower

Sorry I meant there are "no" shaded areas on the sides of the tank so there is even light throughout the tank. If you don't want to hang the light you could always run the Zoomed directly on the rim but use only one t5 bulb.
Ben! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #64
Gootz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry I meant there are "no" shaded areas on the sides of the tank so there is even light throughout the tank. If you don't want to hang the light you could always run the Zoomed directly on the rim but use only one t5 bulb.
Oh, gotcha. If you just ran it directly on top of the tank with both bulbs, does it cause shadows?
Old 08-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #65
Ben!
Algae Grower

I am not sure if it will cause shadows but if you have it directly on top of the tank you have too much light and will have algae problems unless you run co2.
Ben! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 04:54 AM   #66
Gootz
Algae Grower

Quote:
I am not sure if it will cause shadows but if you have it directly on top of the tank you have too much light and will have algae problems unless you run co2.
I only dose liquid CO2, so looks like I'll probably have to hang it after all. Did your fixture come with a reflector?
Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #67
Gootz
Algae Grower

Pulled the trigger on the Dual T5HO. Should arrive 8/15. I'll be looking into some new deco too. Updates to follow shortly.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 PM   #68
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I had to unplug on of the bulbs when I was low tech and using a dual t5ho light on my 29g. It's definitely took much light.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:50 PM   #69
Gootz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilduck View Post
I had to unplug on of the bulbs when I was low tech and using a dual t5ho light on my 29g. It's definitely took much light.
How do you have your light? Is it hung above the tank or is it sitting right on top?

What happened when you had both lights going?