The Planted Tank Forum banner

MR. Aqua's 12g Long Iwagumi Madness II the end!(Final update 7-23)

53K views 147 replies 50 participants last post by  defiant 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok i just got another tank to set up iwagumi style. So for those of you that have been following my 90p progress here is another chance for me to work on my iwagumi layouts.

Its a mr. aqua 12g long rimless tank.
i wanted to get your opinions on the layout.

Im trying to stay as low budget as i can considering my other tanks.
The rocks i had just laying around and the substrate was extra from my other setups so so far the tank cost me $80

so looking to get a light and a filter. Ill perhaps bring out the old DIY co2 canisters i made for my previous setups hopefully i can stop myself from getting a pressurized co2 system for this tank also. I know that my wife can help prevent me from buying another co2 setup. lol

please let me know what you think.

if you have any suggestions on the placement of the stones please feel free to comment

i intend to use HC as the foreground but i need to get a light first.
Because the tank is so shallow im not sure what light to use or if i even need to use a H/O t5 lmk what you think i could get away with on the lighting.

See less See more
#2 ·
looks good. I think you need something counter to the two large rocks on the left. Maybe one of the left ones pushing back a little. Just me though i am not an expert.

As for light im running t5 42watt coralife. Its probably over kill specially since i dont have co2 yet nor know when i will. Dosing excel tho.

I think the hc will look good its what i went with. I was thinking maybe glosso to but i thought hc leaves would look better in the tank since its smaller.

I started one of these tanks too you can check it out on scape let me know what you think. Link

#8 ·
ok I just got in my light its a cheapy knock off but it should do for this size tank. Compared to my other ADA ventures this one will be more budget friendly plus i have to keep the peace in the household. (wife getting pissed off ) hahaha.

Ok now here are more pictures of the layout let me know if you like this one better than the first layout i did. Im leaning towards this layout but to mee it seems as if i just made the tank seem smaller. Keep in mind that i will be using HC for the foreground which i will Dry start on friday.

this will brobably end up being my CRS and CBS sanctuary.

#11 ·
ok so here is an update to the tank this will be my final layout cause tomorrow i will start the HC dry start.
I moved some rocks around and added more substrate to the lef cluster of rocks to give it more height. i also added the small round rock to that cluster to give it a more fuller look. I re arraged the rocks on the left and lifted the middle on up a little so it doesn't look flat ( thanks to suggestions)

So how does this look?

I just ordered me a 2211 eheim canister and i wanted to try the azoo mini regulator off ebay. trying to stay as low cost as possible plus i wanted to see how the azoo regulator is.

I will post pictures tomorrow of the planting of HC. also this weekend i will be making my DIY ada stye stand like my other tank setups feel free to take a look a my sig for links to the other tanks.

I appreciate all the help THANKS TO ALL

Now the Planting begins.............

BTW how do i become a EHEIM PIMP # lol ive been using all eheim filters lmk.

#12 ·
So i just got my HC in and was excited to start planting.
I decided to dry start my tank first because i don't have all my filter and co2 in place. So i figured i get a head start. Don't really know what im doing as far as dry starting. Do i need to cover the tank with plastic wrap? do i spray with excel flrouish? what's the correct way of doing this thing successfully?

Well while i ponder these questions and wait for experienced people like you folk to answer them enjoy the few shots i took of the tank.

I wanted to plant dwarf hair grass behind the cluster of rocks to the right and far left but didn't want them running into the HC.. Pain in the buttox in the future so i decided to save me the headache.
Im going to place some Eriocaulon cinereum between the tall rock and small round rock and also one head between the rocks on the right. I may decide to add some japoinica also but haven't decided yet.
We will see as time progresses. I just need to get the foreground filled in before the middle of july because we have a show at our LFS that i wanted to enter.

#14 ·
Yes, cover the tank with saran wrap to hold in the moisture. You spray with water about twice a day to keep things moist. Do not spray with Excel or even use it when conducting a dry start.

#21 ·
Isn't 78w of t5 already a lot for such a tank? This tank has a low height and is only 12g after all. I would do what you suggested and run only one bulb, even when you fill the tank.

#25 ·
ok well its been over a week since i planted this tank. It seems that the HC is really slow at growing. Now is this normal for a dry start? I always thought that growing HC emersed is faster than submersed.

I removed the other 39 wat bulb and have been running only one bulb. should i leave it as is or will adding the other bulb and having more light intensity allow for faster growth?

I have had the plastic wrap on the tank off the whole time and was just misting the hc about 3 times a day.

Hopefully the roots are growing.. all that i see growing are the riccia embeded in the bunches. I have been painstakingly remving these a little at a time.

#31 ·
well here are the updated pictures.
as you can see there is some growth in the HC. when i first planted it there were distinct rows but now you can see that the HC has blended together in some areas. This is deffinitely faster growth than my previous attempts with starting the HC immersed. I would suggest this to anyone who wants to start a HC carpet and has the strength to fight the urge to flood the tank.LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.