Age old background question... - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #16
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)

Here's a video from my 1st month of my 40 gl. I used a 2x4' bubble textured light defuser panel made for office ceiling fixtures. I got at it Home Depot. @ 1.15 you can just make out the bubbles when I have the camera at an angle.

Without backlighting the bubbles are not noticed. It gives you a look similar to the paint of the wall behind the tank. I like that much better than black or blue as the light color is much more realistic. It also bounces the light better than dark colors.

DogFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
VJM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

+1 on the frosted privacy film. It always looks great to me. Black really closes in a tank, and I have never seen a blue that I liked. I am sure one exists, I just haven't seen it yet.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #18
Kathyy
Planted Tank Guru

I like Dogfish's idea.

It depends how the tank is in the room too. I liked a black background just fine when the tank had book cases on either side but when the bookcases went away the tank looked better with a backdrop closer to the wall color. I have seen a few tanks where blue looks great but usually don't much care for it.

You can do a lot with mock ups. Wax paper, black garbage bag...... Place the tank, put on the mock up take photos of just the tank and the tank in the room and think about it for a while. No right or wrong choice here.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #19
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Kathyy has a great point about mock ups. Often we forget the light source spectrum has an effect on color. I tried a very light green but it looked strange with the blue/white from my PAR38 LEDs.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:47 PM   #20
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Age old background question...

Thats not a bad idea!

What I ended up doing was using some different colored paper and seeing how it looked through the tank.

In the end I went with black, on this tank though with the lighting, I think it's really going to create some dramatic depth. It looks very intense!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #21
jbrady33
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)

Dogfish's frosted looks great on that tank & location, but I'm a black fan also

I have the back of my little 3 gallon mirrored, it works very well (illusion of depth) there but I think would be odd on a bigger tank - you would see yourself!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #22
DogFish
Planted Tank Guru

Black really does look nice with bright GREEN plants. With dark leaves like many crypts, or red stems a lot is lost in presentation due the darkness.

The same hold true with substrate color.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.