The Planted Tank Forum banner

NJ LFS Tour [Oct 18] *Pics added

19K views 224 replies 28 participants last post by  shloken38 
#1 · (Edited)
Hiya all,
Thanks for the fun and memories. looking forward to the next one!

Our itinerary of LFS:
  • Ridgewood aquarium imports (Ada and do aqua! Planted Specialty "pro" shop) Must see for ADA tanks!
  • Fishtown USA on rt 17s - TBD
  • Pet goods rt 17s - TBD
  • Rt4 aquarium - large livestock and equipment, exotic sw, exotic shrimps and CPOs in stock.
  • Absolutely fish - Large selection of everything. A must see in the area.
  • Fish Hut - daphania cultures, awesome killis, ricefish, great prices review thread
  • Kazmir Pet shop - awesome fish selection.not much but neat stuff.great steals on dry goods.
    lots of cool plants
  • [STRIKE]Pet Shanty[/STRIKE] <-- deferred to another time as it is far beyond our travel area

All of these shops are within reasonable driving distance.

UPDATE:
Directions added.

TOUR route

Just two photos taken on my previous scouting trip of the ADA shop.

See less See more
#208 ·
I am. Like I said, if you guys do a Saturday, I'd be more than happy to pick you guys up from the Hoboken PATH. I have a mini van and can fit 5.....6 if three wouldn't mind sitting a little crammed in the back seat. I would definitely love to meet you guys as none of my friends are into the hobby ): Let me know!

#220 ·
I went to RT4 Aquarium today. I hate to say it, but I was really disappointed. They had several tanks that were not doing very well and had very little in the way of "interesting" fish. Their marine section had some interesting stuff, but WOW was it expensive...

Loved the bat fish. I have always wanted one, but they are supposed to be next to impossible to keep alive long term. But at the price they were asking... OUCH. The majestic angel's were also insanely expensive at $250+ each. (The last one I saw in what I consider to be an EXPENSIVE store in NY was going for $175)

I could not find anything I wanted for my planted tank and boy was I itching to buy something new... Oh well, live and learn.

Alfred

#221 ·
Stock always vary even at the best lfs so sometimes our luck and timing may need to be factored. I did find banded and cardinal shrimp for $7. If you were in the market for these, they are about market price. Can't vouch for other stuff since i was only there during my scouting trip last time. However it's a treat to see monster fish in their large tank.
Have to agree that some things are priced a bit high. I admired their cpo tank but the $10 price kept me from picking up the four i wanted, more so since pet goods have them for half the price.

#224 ·
i've done the tour twice afterwards with several others. We covered more ground with fewer people and were able to hit all the stores at once.

One thing to be aware of. The water in NJ is significantly harder with a much higher TDS so drip acclimation is a necessity for livestock. Plants have adapted well to transition in the softer NYC water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.