The Planted Tank Forum banner

Florida Mud Turtles

3K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  JunJunJenn 
#1 ·
Anyone have or know anything about Florida Mud Turtles? These are the ones that only get to about 4 inches.

#4 ·
I have two, and while they seem to be doing great, they hardly ever bask, even when the tank is colder. They just like to hang out down deep. Just looking for any helpful info as there is not a lot out there on them even though they seem to make good pets.

#5 ·
Try this web page out

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/caresheet-3_striped_mud.htm

I noticed with my turtle he never got out of the water I had a large platform area for basking and he never used it so I removed it. I now have driftwood in that he will occasionally climb that but mostly he hangs out at the bottom of the tank in a hut and float up to the top for air. He seems to be more active in the evening when his light is off. So I have been researching lately too. Right now I am working on building a structure out of PVC and covering it with mosses. I read that creating shallower areas will help his activeness. I hope this helps ever day seems to be a learning process with me as well.

#9 ·
I don't know much about them, but I have seen them (3-Stripes) around here. I actually caught one in a nearby lake. They are so 'cute' xD. I assumed they would stay small and I wanted to keep it, but I had no idea how many gallons of water it needed to be kept in.

They do seem to spend a majority of their time underwater from what I have seen. I rarely see them basking, but I see the yellow bellies and RES basking very often. My friends and I actually spotted two of them mating underwater once xD.

#14 · (Edited)
Their setup is kind of boring right now. They're in a 20 gallon about half full with a floating log and rocky substrate. Reptomin filter I think.
I want to upgrade them to a 40-50 gallon I found on the curb. I was thinking a sandy bottom with silk plants. I found a really cool filter structure at petco
http://www.petco.com/product/102525/Tetra-Decorative-ReptoFilter-For-Frogs-Newts-And-Turtles.aspx?CoreCat=LN_ReptileSupplies_TerrariumPumpsFilters
But its only meant for 4-6 inches of water. Do you guys think I could create a slope to put this on and still get enough filtration?
also anyone have success with live foods?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.