Spring fed pond - Step 6: Landscaping and Lighting - Page 5
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 10-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #61
TheAnswerIs42
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Great journal and fantastic pond!
TheAnswerIs42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2014, 11:26 PM   #62
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Lookin' great!
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #63
Skeetz
Algae Grower

I love it!
Skeetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #64
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Wink Fall colors and starting to landscape

pweifan, you asked for it! The fall colors were out so I tried to get some "full" shots for you - since I still haven't put mulch over the liner... just squint a bit and the background looks better

Finally got the spillway stone cut in and foamed in. I like the natural look much better than seeing the black spillway.

Think this is my last lily of the year - we got a light frost last night.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:54 AM   #65
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

Wow! Thank you very much! This really turned out very well. It incorporates the surrounding area very well. It'll look even better over the next few years
pweifan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:04 AM   #66
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Oh wow, so beautiful!

Fantastic job.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:15 PM   #67
jmhk
Planted Member

Default Everlasting Moonlight

I put in the landscape lighting this weekend. I probably should have completed that while it was still warmer at night, but it looks nice out the windows even so.

Next on the project list is transforming this large pile of bricks into some type of walkway. Apparently I wasn't clear in what I meant when I asked my husband to bring down lots of bricks (I wanted them to set the plant pots on) and he brought down every single brick he had in storage. I was thinking he would bring a few dozen, not a few hundred....

After that, it is on to actually making it spring-fed. I will be digging a narrow trench and laying in pipe in gravel to continually collect the water and feed it to the pond. When all that is done, I can finally mulch and cover up that ugly liner just in time for the snow to fall!
Old 10-13-2014, 08:08 PM   #68
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

This is so fun to watch. Thanks for keeping the journal updated Is that forget-me-not (Myosotis scorpioides) at the water's edge of the last photo?
Old 10-13-2014, 09:26 PM   #69
jmhk
Planted Member

Good eyes, pweifan! Yes it is Forget-Me-Nots mixed with some Creeping Jenny that I pulled from the edge of the lakeshore. Both grow naturally (okay, apparently they are invasive, but they have been in NY "forever" now) thoughout my yard at the lake - around here the F-M-N flower shades range from blue to pink, but I never see the white variety that sometimes is sold. Some would call it a weed, but I love it. I kept the top of the soil about 2 inches above the waterline and it really took off. I plan to add some more of it next spring and it will probably spread out of the pond as well as it seeds itself. Next year I will need to get some good pics of it while it is still flowering - it was covered.

Last edited by jmhk; 10-13-2014 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: .
jmhk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:32 PM   #70
xjasminex
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

Hey just realized your from the finger lakes! I'm half way between Corning and Watkins glen!

I'm really interested in seeing how your pond does over the winter, since we can have such harsh ones. Keep posting pics please!
xjasminex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:00 PM   #71
jmhk
Planted Member

I'm very close to you, then, Jasmine - we travel Rte 414 on a regular basis. If you need more frogbit or water lettuce for your goldies, let me know - I usually need to thin out my tanks regularly. This summer I just started throwing gobs of it into the pond to get rid of it.

I'm crossing my fingers that everything overwinters well. I don't plan to really do anything special other than turning off the waterfall waterpump, draining the water lines and adding an airpump to keep the surface open once things start to freeze.

I started out with 50 fathead rosy minnows and 9 comet/shubunkin goldfish (2-4 inch) the first of June. The biggest goldfish are easily 8 inches now. At its height, the population exploded to at least several hundred minnows and the goldie pioneers successfully spawned about two dozen new goldfish that are already 2-3 inches long and have beautiful color variety. I don't see many minnows now that the temperatures dropped. I have no idea how many of the juvenile goldies will make it , but they are still eating healthily to put on weight before winter.
Old Today, 08:32 PM   #72
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmhk View Post
Good eyes, pweifan! Yes it is Forget-Me-Nots mixed with some Creeping Jenny that I pulled from the edge of the lakeshore. Both grow naturally (okay, apparently they are invasive, but they have been in NY "forever" now) thoughout my yard at the lake - around here the F-M-N flower shades range from blue to pink, but I never see the white variety that sometimes is sold. Some would call it a weed, but I love it. I kept the top of the soil about 2 inches above the waterline and it really took off. I plan to add some more of it next spring and it will probably spread out of the pond as well as it seeds itself. Next year I will need to get some good pics of it while it is still flowering - it was covered.
We have them both plants here in Ohio as well and I love them It was only recently that I realized that Creeping Jenny was actually introduced here. (Warning: Complete tangent ahead) I went to a bonsai show and they were selling Lysimachia japonica and it led me to look up what other species of Lysimachia are out there. It was then that I found out that Creeping Jenny is not native to North America. Who knew?!? I also learned of another plant to search for while collecting native plants: Lysimachia thyrsiflora

(Thus ends the complete tangent)

I'm also very curious to see how this over-winters. Good luck! It's looking great so far. Thanks for getting back to me