Apistogramma are my new fav.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #1
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Apistogramma are my new fav.

I love south american cichlids. I have kept MANY and still have many. My new love are Apisto. They are so cute and fun. I have wanted them for years but could never find any or did not have the room.

I bought a realy beauty today and got a sickly beat up rescue for free. There was a Apisto cacatuoides of some kind that was staying that the top in the corner. It looks very stressed and I knew it would die if I did not get it. The Girl the girl working there knew it too. She gave it to me for free with the other very healthy Apistogramma agassizii.

I have one Apistogramma sp. Blue Face (Male) with a big old (4yr) bolivian ram male.

The tank is set up perfect for them lots of ground cover lots of hiding places they can avoid each other very well its an 80Gal tank.

Here are my fish. The Apisto cacatuoides is recovering and I don't have photos yet. He is in the hospital tank.

Do you keep any? what kind? what size tank? how many? What other info do you have to share about these little gems.

The new guy Apisto agassizii.

newfish by snowflake311, on Flickr

newapsto by snowflake311, on Flickr

My apisto Blue.

bluecichlid by snowflake311, on Flickr
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
NWA-Planted
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Default Re: Apistogramma are my new fav.

They are awesome little fish, that aggassizi is super blue!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
Sump Pimp #8
RAOK Clubber #28
NWA-Planted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 AM   #3
im2smart4u
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have always wanted a blue a. agassizi. I saw a picture in an old dwarf cichlids book that had a blue body and a blue fins and I fell in love with it. I have been looking for one like that ever since, but I can usually only find the red fin ones. Yours isn't quite what I have been looking for (since it has an orange tail fin) but it is closer than anything else I have found, and it is a very pretty fish.
im2smart4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Hi Snowflake311,

I agree, Apistogrammas are an excellent species for planted aquariums. I breed Apristogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red' and I have juvie Apistogramma borellii ‘Inca’ that I am raising.

Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red'

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 04:47 AM   #5
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is a great male you have. I love the borellii they are on the wish list.

What size tanks do you breed yours in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle_Aquarist View Post
Hi Snowflake311,

I agree, Apistogrammas are an excellent species for planted aquariums. I breed Apristogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red' and I have juvie Apistogramma borellii ‘Inca’ that I am raising.

Apistogramma cacatuoides 'Triple Red'
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake311 View Post
That is a great male you have. I love the borellii they are on the wish list.

What size tanks do you breed yours in?
Hi Snowflake,

I breed my A. cacatuoides in a 10 gallon equipt with a 'love hut' and very fairly heavily planted. I raise the juvies in a 20 gallon.

10 Gallon Apisto tank

Juvies in 20 gallon bare bottom

Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #7
GnoixuoS
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

I'm starting to get into apistos too. My favorite is apistogramma pandurini/panduro. I like color of the females.
GnoixuoS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #8
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My apisto Blue at the bottom does not have blue fins. Its the Apisto agassizii that has the red.

my understanding is that the Apisto Blues sp are a hybrid and not found in the wild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by im2smart4u View Post
I have always wanted a blue a. agassizi. I saw a picture in an old dwarf cichlids book that had a blue body and a blue fins and I fell in love with it. I have been looking for one like that ever since, but I can usually only find the red fin ones. Yours isn't quite what I have been looking for (since it has an orange tail fin) but it is closer than anything else I have found, and it is a very pretty fish.
And Seattle Aqurist. Your babies look great. Good job raising them.
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Green_Flash
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Quote:
I love south american cichlids. I have kept MANY and still have many. My new love are Apisto. They are so cute and fun. I have wanted them for years but could never find any or did not have the room.

I bought a realy beauty today and got a sickly beat up rescue for free. There was a Apisto cacatuoides of some kind that was staying that the top in the corner. It looks very stressed and I knew it would die if I did not get it. The Girl the girl working there knew it too. She gave it to me for free with the other very healthy Apistogramma agassizii.

I have one Apistogramma sp. Blue Face (Male) with a big old (4yr) bolivian ram male.

The tank is set up perfect for them lots of ground cover lots of hiding places they can avoid each other very well its an 80Gal tank.

Here are my fish. The Apisto cacatuoides is recovering and I don't have photos yet. He is in the hospital tank.

Do you keep any? what kind? what size tank? how many? What other info do you have to share about these little gems.

The new guy Apisto agassizii.

newfish by snowflake311, on Flickr

newapsto by snowflake311, on Flickr

My apisto Blue.

bluecichlid by snowflake311, on Flickr
Love the blue on these!

Are there any very hard to find species?
Green_Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #10
Snowflake311
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I never saw them in my lfs till this year. I think they are growing in popularity.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #11
msawdey
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)

I love them also.... Im going to cause you grief though.... find an Hongsloi... COOLEST.FISH.EVER. They have to be one of the best looking fish i have ever had the pleasure of owning, just are hard to find
Old 02-07-2013, 03:18 AM   #12
LB79
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
My apisto Blue at the bottom does not have blue fins. Its the Apisto agassizii that has the red.

my understanding is that the Apisto Blues sp are a hybrid and not found in the wild.

And Seattle Aqurist. Your babies look great. Good job raising them.
The sp. 'Steel Blue' is an infertile hybrid. Still, an awesome fish.

–Boromir, The Lord Of The Rings
LB79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
DBlauj
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/82%)

LOL welcome to the addicting world of Apistos. I originally wanted a pair of GBRs and some how came across some Orange Flash Cacatuoides and that was it, I was hooked. I was able to breed them getting three batches from my dominant female and two batches from the other female. I love how they are harem breeders and it's quite interesting to watch the moms heard two groups of fry around the tank. Cacas and Agassizii are great beginner Apistos but there are plenty of out there. I have kept Orange Flash Cacatuoides, Alacrinas, Baenschis, wild Macmasteri, and currently have F1 cacatuoides, wild sp. Tefe and F1 Barlowi. I am really hoping to see the Barlowi spawn as they are one of only two mouth brooding Apistos known at them moment. Congrats on your beautiful fish and hopefully your Caca recovers.
DBlauj is offline   Reply With Quote