The Planted Tank Forum banner

ADA MINI-M: #4 Lava Rock

8K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  frrok 
#1 ·
This is the beginning of my journey on my 4th iteration using an ADA mini-M tank. So far I would say that my 4 layouts were experimentation into an otherwise ever expanding knowledge of science and botany. I've learned so much, now I want to use my knowledge to create even more beautiful layouts. #4 features lava stone and the use of negative space in an convex layout. I like the lava rock because it is inert. Keeping my GH steady around 4 and my KH at 2.

New LED light: Flexi Mini-M. first impressions: love the full spectrum lighting and plants seem to respond well. only negative is the back corners seem really shadowed. they should consider making a 36cm version, more powerful and vertically adjustable.

plants as follows:subject to change as always.
hemianthus callitrichoides
micranthemum 'monte carlo'
hemianthus glomeratus
polygonum sp. 'kawagoeanum'
rotala rotundofolia
hygrophila pinnatifida
hygrophila polysperma(i think) may remove...
tawian moss(on the lava rocks in bits)
fissidens
some random stems of marsilea minuta

The plan is to make the stems behind the stones more bushy through trimming.also considering adding some more moss, maybe more fissidens in the shadows under the stones..

hardscape

day 1, initial planting

day 2

2 weeks

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks! 100% agree on the lava rock . And if Your lucky you can find some very interesting pieces, if you know what to look for. The light was $80. Still have a way to go and it's almost time to trim the HC and Monte Carlo.
Monte Carlo is growing up through the Valley in between the stones and the HC is in the foreground.

#6 ·
Where'd ya get the nice lava rock? I'm planning on doing a scape with lava rock as well, I do think its under rated, and I feel like its the perfect rock for a planted tank. Intricate, porous, striking, and doesn't hurt that its nice on the wallet :p

What livestock are you keeping in this? This is going to be a lovely little nano.

#10 ·
Been thinking a lot about what to add on the right and left sides between the stones. The part that is shadowed. I was considering adding more moss, but I'm not sure if I want the messy moss look... I have some fissidens wrapped around a stone in the lower left. I'm considering adding more just behind it in between. Does it do well in lower light? What do you guys think? Refer to the last shot. Thanks!

#18 ·
thats exactly what I'm thinking of doing...the difference is pretty stunning. the spread from the light is 120 degrees but its the length thats the issue. but I love the color and all the plants seem to responding well. need to get some more fissidens.. also want to change a few things that I'm not liking... sunday is my maintenance day. il snap a pic when i done

#19 ·
Here are the results from trimming this past Sunday.the scape is at 4 wks. Took me awhile to upload. Life gets in the way of fun stuff. I added a small lava stone wrapped with a little fissidens in the lower left. I'm hoping it spreads out enough to give a little contrast with the HC and start to cover the stones. I did trim the HC down as well as the stems. I noticed some melting. Could be the emmered leaves of the HC. I'm hoping after a few trimmings the HC will settle in. The Monte Carlo in the valley is doing much better. I'm thinking I could have been a bit more aggressive with trimming it down. What do you guys think?

#20 ·
Just got the new iPhone 6 and took some photos and videos this weekend. I'm loving the camera. Takes really good photos. Did a little more trimming this weekend and I'm planning on adding more fissidens moss this weekend. Of course some spirogyra somehow made it into this tank as well. It's the bane of my existence. It most likely came in on the stems of HM That I transported from my lo-tech. Mistake on my part there. I'm not really interested in trying to eradicate it. Just going to try and keep in under control the best I can. It's really hard to get rid of unless you start over completely even with new filter media.

#22 ·
Thanks. I liked it also. But it came to end sadly. Yea, The sticker has always been there. Lol.

I want to create some bushes behind the stones. Hopefully it will work out. If not I have some other ideas. I just wanted to try something a little different this time. Sort of a valley type theme but with plants instead of sand.

It's still very immature.

#24 · (Edited)
Right now it's 7 hours. I have a burst of 2 hours where my aquaray led comes on just to even out the lighting. Otherwise the light source is from the flexi-mini. The photo is with just the 6500k aquaray. Which is more of a green/blue light. Flexi mini has more a full spectrum with reds. I can tell this because the Reds really pop.

#25 ·
Apologies for the lack of updates. I actually totally forgot about this thread. Anyway, just to give you a brief update on whats been happening with the layout. I am extremely happy with the way the plants are growing...it seems that I have finally figured out the balance and fairly quickly. I picked up an american flagfish and it quickly got rid of any hair algae that was in the tank that was imported from some plants. In this shot below you'll see my carpet is becoming well established... probably needs another trim in about a weeks time. Ive been through atleast two trimmings on the stems and I think they are looking better , getting more bushy. But it will be 3-4 trimmings until I get it the way I want. You'll also notice that I added my old archea twin compact fluorescent light aimed toward the back of the tank. Its very close to the surface and I only turn it on for about 2 hours at the peak of the photoperied to simulate high noon. all the plants plants pearl intensely during the photoperiod. the drop checker is more of a yellow-green but I make sure that there is surface ripple so there is for sure enough o2. so far, the fauna seem to be fine.

Also, at the time of this posting, I replace the Marsilea minuta with glosso. It was grown emmersed so it will be some time before it settles. The Marsilea was too dark green, I'd that rather have a color closer to the HC that will blend in better for that moved carpet effect.. I will take another photo tomorrow during my maintenance. This pic was from last week. Already the stems plants have grown to the surface!

#29 ·
One week after trim. Stems are getting bushy. Cut back the polygonum a bit. I just top them and throw out the bottoms. I added some glosso around the rocks as an accent and to blend in with the HC. I bought them in a pot in emmersed form. It's been 3 or 4 days and it's already sending down roots. Once I feel that it's properly rooted I will trim it.

#30 ·
Sorry for the long delay. This layout has been quite successful. Although my only critique is that the corners and end of the tank do not get enough light, the flexi mini is a tad too short for the mini-m imo. you can tell just by looking at the plant growth in all four corners. It is not nearly as lush as the center of the tank with the bushes and the monte carlo valley. I do hope that AZOO makes a version that is longer made for 36 cm tanks. It would then be perfect IMO. There are still some changes I may make - for one the glosso that I added is not growing as low as I would like ...again this mainly has to do with the corners and shadows the light is creating. its is makes the glosso grow long and lanky. I may remove it after my next trim.

Please share any critiques of the layout. thank you for reading.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.