The Planted Tank Forum banner

AquaKai's 110g Tall Build

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  lauraleellbp 
#1 ·
By pure chance on Craigslist I found a 110g tall aquarium with a stand for a decent price and I've been looking at some larger tanks. So I'm getting it on Monday:D. Fish are getting an upgrade from 55 to the 110.

This tank is 30" tall which puts me in a weird situation. I want to plant it, but I'm starting to realize that this will be more difficult than I originally thought. I want to plant mainly low and low-mid light plants. So I need to figure out what kind of lights to get. I'd like to get something that won't create a HUGE electricity bill. I was looking at Finnex Fugeray but I'm not sure.

I was planning on just getting a 75g so I was planning in getting the Eheim 2217, but would that be sufficient filtering?

Now to substrate. I want black. I don't know whether to go with (soil capped-don't know if I want to do this again) by blasting sand (would that be okay with cories I've read conflicting accounts) or just get Eco-Complete? Something else?

This is my current stock in my 55g:

1 angelfish

8 black neons

8 panda cories

2 Bolivian rams

See less See more
#2 ·
Gratz, great score!

A 2217 would be enough filtration, but you'll probably need more flow once the plants fill in. You could go with a 2nd filter (my own preferance) or powerheads.

Your budget may be the deciding factor on lighting and substrate.

I'm personally sticking with T5/T5HOs till LED fixtures come down a lot more in price for big tanks.

#3 ·
Gratz, great score!

A 2217 would be enough filtration, but you'll probably need more flow once the plants fill in. You could go with a 2nd filter (my own preferance) or powerheads.

Your budget may be the deciding factor on lighting and substrate.

I'm personally sticking with T5/T5HOs till LED fixtures come down a lot more in price for big tanks.

That's great to hear! I plan on maybe getting another filter down the line, probably a smaller one. But an extra power head might be nice to have around!

I'll probably just go with the blasting sand with some osmocote capsules underneath the plants for the cheapest route, so I can invest in some lighting.

I'd like to spend no more than $300 on the lights. I'm wanting to have some nicer lighting and preferably LEDs. But I don't want to go to having to use CO2. I was looking at a few options online (I don't remember which ones) and they all suggested the use of CO2 and reviews were for higher tech aquariums.

#5 ·
would it be a huge challenge if you where dirting 3 inches and capping 2 inches
taking 4 to 5 inches off the depth or is there a way to shorten the height
im in a similiar boat getting a sweet deal but want to use it as plant tank
im not opposed to building a custom stand if i can shorten the height by filling bottom with a light weight foam then substrate or would this cause problems

#6 ·
I currently have Odyssea T5 Dual 48" 6500K Aquarium Lights 108W on my 55g and I was wondering if I could just add another one of those or something else to heighten the power of the lights? I don't want to overkill the lighting on the tank. Just enough to grow some swords, crypts, vals, and moss. Possibly rotala and/or dwarf sag.

#7 ·
I currently have Odyssea T5 Dual 48" 6500K Aquarium Lights 108W on my 55g and I was wondering if I could just add another one of those or something else to heighten the power of the lights? I don't want to overkill the lighting on the tank. Just enough to grow some swords, crypts, vals, and moss. Possibly rotala and/or dwarf sag.
It'll be ok for all except the rotala. Most rotala species need medium lighting at minimum.

#9 ·
Don't forget you can raise a few of the plants by using a fancy piece of driftwood.
A three limbed fork with two on the bottom and the third one going up so that the two bottom ones form a V on the bottom for stability and that third limb goes up and across the tank. I can picture a few Anibias on it and/or Jave Fern. That Odyssea,
if you add a bit more sub than normal will get you n the higher end od low, but Zoo Med
(in their Reptile section) and Catalina make a single bulb T5 fixture. That way you could add but not over add. Would also give you great spread on the light. This would be enough for the Rotala also. Guess I'm thinking out loud here but if you tried that Odyssea out with only one bulb to make sure it worked that way, you may get by cheaper just getting another of what you have and just use one bulb in it till you get
a need for 4 by the volumn of plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.