The Planted Tank Forum banner

Whats your favorite fish?!

3K views 20 replies 20 participants last post by  aokashi 
#1 ·
Today I was just thinking to myself about which fish Ive enjoyed the most and it occurred to me that it wasn't necessarily the most beautiful fish but instead the fish with the most personality and interesting behavior! (Not to say that beauty and interesting behavior are mutually exclusive though)

So, What fish have you enjoyed keeping the most? Which were most interesting? which had the best personality?

In my experience, Ive always found that in freshwater cichlids have always had the best personality and interesting behaviors. Both African and South American. And in saltwater, I can say without hesitation the porcupine puffer is my favorite! Its like a dog stuck in a fishes body! Mine used to follow me up and down the tank and when hungry would try to get my attention by spitting water out of the tank at me! (if youve never seen this before its definitely worth a google video search or youtube search)

Can't wait to read about all of your experiences!

- Matt M.

#2 ·
My favorite fish was an impulse buy. He was a baby flag fish. I thought he was so cute ans he was really active for less than 2 inches. I asked the ppl at petland if he was peaceful and of course they said yes. He was great and always really responsive when I was near the tank. It wasn't until later that I found put he was a ciclid and that's why all my other peaceful community fish died. This all happened before I really got into keeping a tank

#3 ·
i love my peacock gudgeon fry, i guess they are juvies now. they eat right out of my hand, they always seem so happy.

and my gardneri killi (steel blue) he is super fun to watch paddle around, and has given me both a baby steel blue killifish, and cross of steel blue and striped panchax babies.

#15 ·
I am so jealous of your gudgeons! I have 2 juveniles, and I love them. They're completely unafraid of rams and flag fish, and come right up to the front of the tank to say hi to me whenever I'm around. These little critters are beautiful and I hope to someday have a brood to raise too.

AD, you have fry so I bet you can tell me this definitively. At what point in their size/age/development can you determine their sex? Mine are around 1.5"-2" now and I think I'm just beginning to see the cephalic hump on one. His head is definitely more humplike than the other, which is narrower and looks to me like a female. Trouble is, they're almost identically colored and based on what I've read, they shouldn't be. And iirc, the males have red eyes. Both of mine are black eyed.

Thanks for any insight!

Cheers (you lucky dog!)

#4 ·
I really like my Panda Garras, they hang out in the weirdest of spots and positions and are so funny to watch play with each other and swim about the tank, i love Panda Cory's as well, so beautiful and fun to watch swim around and sit together in a school. they are also hilarious during feeding time.

#6 ·
Just got a Honey Gourami and so far he's my favorite! He has tons of personalty and some serious attitude. Definitely holds his own against the !@#$% silver tipped tertras that torture everyone haha.

In a very close 2nd has to be tiger barbs, I know they can be little devils but tons of fun to watch and very brave

#7 ·
#1. Keyhole cichlid Cleithracara maronii. Humble and beautiful in its own quiet way. To see its real beauty, you have to have a breeding pair with fry.

#2. Buffalohead cichlid Steatocranus casuarius. These are the bulldogs of the cichlid family. Chill and passive unless riled up (which happens fairly easily). They also have verying personalities, and each one is a little different than the rest.

#13 ·
Havent kept a whole lot of fish, but as of now it's the blue rams. I was really into dwarf honey gouramis but after losing 2 of them and replacing them with a m/f pair of GBR, the rams are everything the honeys were + sweeter colors. I did love that sunset honey tho, RIP!

Posted from Plantedtank.net App for Android

#16 ·
I have to give a tip of the hat to the true bumblebee goby I have, too. Personality Plus. He sucks himself to a java leaf and spots an invisible piece of food floating by and nabs it, looks at me like a little cartoon frog, and hops back up onto another leaf and sits in wait for his next victim. Also fearless. Will scrap with a 3" ram no problemmo (he's about 3/4").

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.