The Planted Tank Forum banner

2x 48" Ray 2 DS...too much?

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  l8nite 
#1 ·
Question: Will running 2x 48" Ray 2 DS on top of my tank be too much light?

My tank is 60"x18"x24" (24" deep, 18" front to back)
Height from the top of the tank to the substrate is 20.5"

I inject CO2 (well over 30ppm), and I do daily EI dosing KNO3, KH2PO4, and CSM+B.

The PAR chart for the Ray 2 (through air) is here:

(I would be switching from a 24" Finnex Ray2 DS on one side of the tank, and a 48" T5HO 2-bulb fixture across the center).

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like you'll be in the high light camp. With 2 lights, you'll have areas where there will be overlap. That's good because the spread of a single fixture probably wouldn't cut it and hanging the light might not give you enough par at the lowest level of substrate. My friend has the ray 2 and it looks good but almost all of his plants grow in the same shade of green. If you are looking for contrasting colors, the ray 2 might not be the best choice.

#4 ·
My friend has the ray 2 and it looks good but almost all of his plants grow in the same shade of green. If you are looking for contrasting colors, the ray 2 might not be the best choice.
Huh? :confused:

If he wanted color contrast, perhaps he should have purchased plants that can be different colors under different conditions? My Ray 2 grows my two different green plants <gasp> TWO different shades of green. And, I know this is mind boggling, but I even have a RED plant in there?!

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.