The Planted Tank Forum banner

20 Long College Planted Journey!

4K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  woodsjail. 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, my journey now starts to my project of a 20 gallon long high tech planted tank with fish. I currently have a 55 gallon planted tank, but am converting it to a Cichlid tank very soon. I have the 55 in my room and I am wanting the 20 long in my room also. Not much room for a bigger tank. Currently being in College, things are happening at a slow pace with the tank but I'm alright with it. Gives me something to do.

MORE PICS BELOW ON SECOND PAGE AS YOU SCROLL!

Bought a 29 gallon for $15 thinking I would like it, but I still wanted a 20 long so I am getting one today.
Tank: 20 gallon long
Lighting: 30" Finnex Fugeray with moonlights.
Filter: HOB Whisper 20-Will add power head also.
Co2 System: DIY Paintball Co2 System. Bought bubble checker, Co2 Diffuser, co2 drop checker.
Eco-Complete mixed with Fluorite black (all they had at the time)
Homemade Stand

Pictures of progress:
1/11/14

1/13/14

New Filter!

Unboxing!

1/1/14
Put in the new Stand I built!

Finally got my Co2 Tank filled and installed my DIY Paintball Co2

Also added some new plants! Some Star grass and Telanthera Cardinalis

Will add more pics soon! More coming in slowly! Going to carpet with DHG very soon by the end of this week. Also have some ferts coming in from NicolG! Excited!

DHG Came in.

1/23/14

1/24/14 More DHG came in! Even more to come next week, also some rotala and limnophila aromatica coming in next week too!
Put Danios in there to help the Tetrasafe cycle the tank. I'm pretty sure it is cycled by now though. Will be adding my Harlequin Rasboras in probably by mid next week to make sure everything is okay!

MORE PICS BELOW ON SECOND PAGE AS YOU SCROLL!

See less See more
#2 ·
Dirting the tank: I plan on using some Eco-Complete possibly, any suggestions on better substrate for my purpose?.

Capping the tank: Haven't decided on some black diamond blasting sand, or black gravel.. Not sure yet. Trying to keep the cost down on the gravel as Black diamond blasting sand is 8 bucks for 50 lbs. Any suggestions?

Co2 System: I've never did Co2 before, what do you guys recommend for a 20 gallon long tank? I'm going for something cheap but efficient for a 20 long. I have a place that fills Co2 paintball tanks as I used to do paintball. I could get a paintball Co2 tank for cheap. What other parts would I need?
As far as substrate, I did black eco-complete capped with black blasting grit in both my 40B and 20L (both are high tech)...I've been happy with it so far, it doesn't take much washing before and it's heavy enough to now cloud your tank when moving plants around. The only flaw is that the blasting grit doesn't stay a dark black, especially with a bright light on it. It's not that bad though, so to me the price of the blasting grit still justifies using it.

As far as CO2, a paintball CO2 setup would probably work pretty well, you'd just need the tank, a decent regulator, and a needle valve. A solenoid, drop checker and bubble counter are definitely very helpful. You'll also need a way to diffuse the CO2 into the tank, a glass in tank diffuser is by far the cheapest, but also the least efficient. If you intend to use a canister filter you can look into CO2 reactors and inline diffusers.

Hope that helps! Definitely try take advantage of the search function on this forum!

#9 ·
I would recommend two bags at least. I setup a 20 gallon long with a little bag and it barely had the depth to initially place the plants. I eventually added another bag. If you want slopes or anything you will probably need more.

Check out Petco online right now it is super cheap and three bags should give you free shipping.

#10 ·
The light you linked to is actinic which isn't necessary for freshwater planted, in fact I don't think it benefits the tank at all except for trying to view nocturnal fish. That light is also only 24" which is 6" short light wise and may affect a "high tech" setup.

I am cycling a new 20 long myself but it will be low tech and unheated (or am hoping I can get away with no heat). The LED fixture I wanted is not in stock (Beamswork 6500k 30" light that runs around $50). So for now (and I may just stick with this) I am using 3 clamp lights called brooder lamps with 13watt 6500k CFL bulbs. The light coverage is excellent and if I need to up the light intensity it is an easy and cheap bulb swap. I think I have about $30ish into the 3 lamps and a 3 pack of bulbs. You will need something hang them from or a glass top. I set mine directly on the glass top, they put out very little heat so no worries there.

#11 ·
Update on the tank: I have been buying all of my equipment. Just bought a 30" Finnex Fugeray. I have bought all of my equipment for my DIY paintball Co2 injection. Waiting on a few parts to come in. Bought bubble counter, drop checker, and diffuser. Haven't bought soil yet but will update when I have everything completely. Will post plenty of pictures in the 1st thread from beginning to end, will probably even video it to help others who are learning.

#12 ·
UPDATE: Just got the 20 long. Put Fluorite black and eco complete black in there just because that's all they had in stock. I have everything except for my Co2 tank and heater left to get. Here is the current verrry rough hardscape, obviously need to get more rocks.

Pics:

#17 ·
Is the HOB puncturing the surface of the water??
Got a co2 indicator?

I find that while injecting co2 into the water, and having a ho bad my filter, I have to crank the co2 higher due to surface agitation from the hob. I suggest, if you haven't yet, filling the water as close as you can to the output of the hob so it doesn't disrupt the co2 your pumping into the tank

Just a suggestion. Give that tank a month or 2 and you'll get a nice dense carpet of hair grass! :)

Keep up with the pics

#20 ·
Update: Starting to see amazing growth on star grass, algae that was on it is not dead because of bleach dip. DHG is growing within a week and I am starting to see a few new blades coming up. Will probably trim it down to promote growth in a week or two. Some Limnophila Aromatica‏ just came in the mail and I planted them as you can see in the pictures below. I have a bunch of rotala indica coming in tomorrow also. Will update on that. Going to buy a new co2 regulator and solenoid soon to really regulate my co2 well. Ferts came in yesterday from NilocG! Very impressed also. Have my lights on for about 6 hours a day. Co2 running at like 2bps.

If you have any suggestions for plants/layouts please tell me!

Pictures:
1/28/14

New plant kind of leaning lol!
1/29/14

Still alot of work to do but it's a start!

#22 ·
About how wide is that Limnophila A.? Like leaf tip to opposite leaf tip? I think it's the plant I've been looking for!

Also, that's a pretty nice looking tank. If you could get a rock slightly smaller than the middle one and put it in the right area in such a way that they all "point" to the left, it would really pull it together.

#24 ·
Okay today I received another plant. Some Rotala. Doesn't look so hot, but rotala has bounced back for me in the past pretty fast so we will see. I'm sure it will turn out okay. Also found 3 nerite snails in my tank today from the plant shipments! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.