The Planted Tank Forum banner

Going topless

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  jrh 
#1 ·
Both nerites and p diffusa will climb out of a tank, even if the water level's a little low, so there's no going topless with these residents, is there?

#5 ·
I lost more amanos with topless than anything else. I had my fluval flora topless for a long time, I get the occasional jumper, but in terms of animals leaving the tank, amanos will literally run along the floor lol.

#6 ·
I don't put tops on any of my tanks anymore as my hands are in and out of my tanks constantly and the tops are just a nuisance--that and getting tired of having to constantly scrub mineral deposits off 'em.

I lose the occasional cherry shrimp that startles and jumps the wrong way while feeding on floater roots, but haven't had a problem with snails or fish jumping.

#8 ·
I'd love to go topless, but Amano's are definitely a no (not that they were mentioned in the OP), and the evaporation is freaking ridiculous. I've lost two multidentata out of the 1"x12" slot on the side of my hood. And by 'lost' I don't mean they died, I mean I straight up can't find the bodies, they must have jumped and run under something immobile... the first was like 8 months ago, and the second was two weeks ago!

What? A dead MTS??? Because it dried out????? Did you try tossing it back in the tank? They tend to re-animate when wet.

#15 ·
Okey dokey, I'll give it a try. The evaporation might get to be too much, but we'll see.

So, how do you handle evaporation in a small tank like an ebi? Still just do normal water changes and figure it'll hit steady state eventually?

This is just going to be a tap water tank, hard, alkaline water, with hardwater fish, shrimp, and snails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.