The Planted Tank Forum banner

Aqueon Evolve4 set up

Tags
evolve4
5K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  mosspearl 
#1 · (Edited)
I got an Aqueon Evolve4 today on sale at Petco. I know it's acrylic, but I notice it has some tiny scratches near the top and on the corner. Is this common for this model? If so, will they show up when it's filled? I hope I don't have to take it back. I'm already envisioning what to do with it.

Anyway, assuming it will be safe to use, here are two options I have for hardscape. What do you all think?

Driftwood:

Rock:

This has replaced the 2.5 gallon I was setting up on my desk. The 2.5 has moved on to a side table to hold a betta.

See less See more
#8 · (Edited)
Glad to know it's normal, seuadr. :) Thanks! I've heard about placing sponge in the outflow to slow down the flow... what about putting sponge behind the intake? I'm planning on some microfish and some shrimp in this tank. Don't want any of them sucked into the filter. :p

I admire the iwagumi style, Jarek. However, I like the tall plants in the back, so it will probably be a mishmash. Planning on some chain sword, pennywort, anubias, watersprite, and some floating greens in there.

Oh, and the tally:
Driftwood: 1
Rock: 2

#9 ·
Glad to know it's normal, seuadr. :) Thanks! I've heard about placing sponge in the outflow to slow down the flow... what about putting sponge behind the intake? I'm planning on some microfish and some shrimp in this tank. Don't want any of them sucked into the filter. :p
i've set up my own DIY setup for my tank (one of my ghost shrimp ended up down in the sump with my pump somehow?!)

i have added a little plastic shelf (cut up a dollar store bin to make it) that fit in the sump to hold bio blocks (on the right, a mixture of new ones and existing from my other tank) and then added a second mechanical filter on the left to slow down the flow, this is with the pump turned all the way down. after i found the shrimp in my sump, i put a piece of scrubby pad over the intake to keep the shrimp from slipping in there! it seems to be working (thus far).

#15 ·
I put the rocks in my betta tank, Def... pic attached. I've got another piece of wood I'm testing now. I'll take a pic later today. I had planned on using it with a piece of lace rock, but the lace rock was bigger than I thought. It took up almost the whole space. Now it's all cloudy, even though I rinsed it. Apparently not good enough. :(

Betta tank:

#18 · (Edited)
New picture with plants.

Front left: anubias barteri nana
Back middle: watersprite
On wood: anubias barteri petite
Right front: pellia
Right back: chain sword

Probably still add some marsilea minuta and bacopa once it's grown a bit. I've got them emersed at the moment.

#21 ·
Got my test kit in the mail the other day and I've been practicing. :) Today's parameters in this tank are:
pH: 6.8
Ammonia: 0.50 ppm
Nitrites: 5.0 ppm
Nitrates: 80 ppm
TDS: 185
Temperature: 75.2

I did a 20% water change after the test, then added another plant. I'll be upfront... I don't quite understand the TDS thing yet, but I'm reading up on it. I don't have any tests yet for gH or kH (is that right?). From what I've read, I should be doing water changes to bring down the nitrates, correct? The tank has been set up since 2/23, so I'm hoping I'm on track.

#23 ·
I like it very much. It fits just right on the little shelf on my desk, but it gives me more gallons than the 2.5 I was going to put there. I also like that all the equipment is hidden in the back. The box said the light was suitable for plants, and I've seen members here who have grown plants well with it, but my choices seem to need a bit more. Too bad, because I like the LED look. I'll have to upgrade to a better LED when my budget can handle it.

The biggest issue I've had so far was scaping. At first, everything I tried in it was just too big. I like the driftwood I have in there now... it's just the right size, but when I was picking it out at the LFS, it seemed so small. Granted, it's only been a couple weeks so far, but I'd buy more of the Evolve series.

#25 ·
#28 · (Edited)
Made some changes in the tank. Pulled out the zebra rock. Boy, was it taking up room! Split the chain swords... they were really getting thick. Put some on the left where the rock used to be behind the bogwood. Pulled the watersprite and put it in the 10g and changed it out for some bacopa caroliniana. It's short right now, but it will grow. Attached some subwassertang to the top of the wood. Click on the pic to see it larger.

I've been testing and I admit the results have me flummoxed. For awhile there, it seemed I was getting somewhere, but now I'm getting all 0's on my ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. The snails are reproducing like crazy, I see the occasional nematodes and detritus worms, so things must be okay to some extent. Did I miss the cycle?

Since this will be a shrimp tank, I've turned the heater off. The temp is remaining between 68 and 73, depending on how long the light has been on. GH is staying between 3.3 and 6.7.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.