The Planted Tank Forum banner

lighting / cover question

767 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  norbot 
#1 ·
Looking at T5 lighting and am wondering in you would use a clear cover under the lights. Have a 55 gallon long so it's 48"L x 12D x 20H. The dual strip I'm looking at is 6" deep and of course it would be above the water anyway. Would I need to get a glass top for the entire aquarium, a piece cut just for the area left open at the front of the tank? My brain is exhausted from trying to wade through the lighting info :) Thanks for any input.

#2 ·
Looking at T5 lighting and am wondering in you would use a clear cover under the lights. Have a 55 gallon long so it's 48"L x 12D x 20H. The dual strip I'm looking at is 6" deep and of course it would be above the water anyway. Would I need to get a glass top for the entire aquarium, a piece cut just for the area left open at the front of the tank? My brain is exhausted from trying to wade through the lighting info :) Thanks for any input.
Hello lin...

A clear, glass canopy will work well. I have them on my 55 G tanks. They're fairly inexpensive. A 48 inch canopy will run about $30.00, plus a bit more for shipping. Any of the online tank suppliers, like Foster and Smith will carry them.

B

#4 ·
I too have a 55G w/ T5 lighting and don't use a cover at all (I love the open top/water look). The only issue I deal with is heavy evaporation during the winter months. I usually have to add a pitcher of fresh water to the tank each morning (not that big of a deal in my opinion). I have a heavily stocked tank and have not had one fish jump out (despite having no lid on the tank).

#5 ·
I also have 55g with open top, I debated heavily about which way to go.

With a closed top you have less evaporation and you may retain more co2, however for me there was no way I was going to keep up with the cleaning of the glass.

If you don't routinely clean your lids your PAR is quickly reduced.

Additionally, I run a 20lb pressurized co2 so I kinda got paranoid about fish gassing but I am seriously blasting co2 into this tank right now, so it probably doesn't matter that much

No lids = better gas exchange and no indefinite "lid maintenance"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.