The Planted Tank Forum banner

1Gallon Jar

2K views 19 replies 6 participants last post by  aokashi 
#1 ·
SO i found a container store giftcard and picked up a 1 gallon glass jar. it has 4 sides with rounded edged. Any ideas on how I could go about setting up a neet little nano in there? The lid is tin, so im thinking of clear coating it and cutting a hole in the top for light. Any livestock i could keep in there?

Ill get pics up soon.

#4 ·
So I added a piece of Texas Holey rock I found in my basement, along with some old playsand mixed with black sand. I added a few DHG runners from my 10 gallon along with little bits of flame moss, 2 microswords and a piece of HC I found floating around.
I want to try either adding CO2 to the set up (using like on of the regular water bottles) or possible adding some shrimp or a betta. I know the CO2 would be too much for the shrimp because there wouldn't be any other aeration besides what the plants provide, but could a betta be ok with the co2 since it breathes air? (I'm also willing to abandon the idea of co2 if you guys think its overkill).

Also any ideas on what I could improve on?

Here are some pics from 2 different sides of the jar:
The mist at the top are tons of little air bubbles (coming from the sand).

Attachments

#6 ·
it really depends on the betta. the poor plakat at my lfs is guarding a floating javafern for dear life, in fear of losing his territory. I dare say a 1/2 gallon would be big enough for that guy! he's bigger than most of the other fish in the tank too! this was an 100g btw. lol. It was sooo funny

#7 ·
haha, interesting about the betta guarding that piece of Java fern. I get they like swimming room, so I may just go shrimp in here. regardless, I'm probably going to let the tank grow out a few weeks before I add anything besides snails. Any plants you guys think I should add? or possibly any other fish (I realize its not likely that many fish would be too happy in a 1 gallon of water).

#13 ·
you can use chaeto algae, other macroalgaes. just do a bit of research on them and what people keep them with. brackish water is super easy. what makes these shrimp and amazing choice for the jar is that they are much more hardy than the toughest cherry shrimp you'll find. they can handle such a small aquatic system that you're trying to build.

With these, you don't have to do many water change for them. take a look at what other people do. they mostly just top off the water and maybe do a water change a few times a year. but you must cycle the jar as with any tank.

depending on the salinity you will use, some aquatic mosses can handle it.
Just consider the brackish option. you most likely will never regret it. plus its something new to learn about. you jar would be pretty unique ;)

#17 ·
The unpleasant smell was probably bacteria and from the photos, it didn't have ENOUGH plants. Was it sulphur based type odors?

I've had some common flower vases by the windowsill filled with plants since October they've never generated anything foul. No extra lighting other than what they receive from the windowsill.

#18 ·
I set up jars and small tanks a lot... anywhere from 1/4gal to 2.5gallons...

An important things is to NOT change the water... you want the ecosystem to sort itself out....and you also need to plant with plants which will cater for the bioload you intend to put in there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.