The Planted Tank Forum banner

Squirrel skeleton in tank?

6K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  Betta132 
#1 ·
Yup, me again. So, what about a squirrel skeleton? It died of a broken back, was picked up by me literally minutes after it died, and spent 10 days underground. After that, it was dug up, soaked in a hydrogen peroxide solution, rinsed, and partially assembled using SuperGlue.
What would I have to do to make sure it's aquarium safe? I have a tree-looking piece of driftwood in my 65, and I think a squirrel skeleton is just what it needs. Yeah, I'm weird for wanting bones in my tank.

#4 ·
You could always seal it with some kind of waterproofing so it doesn't deteriorate. Whatever people use to seal the foam they make those awesome fake trees and roots with. Then you wouldn't have to worry.
Also, now I want skeletons in my tank... maybe mice having a garden tea party... bwhaha

Sent from my phone, in the land of magical unicorns and rainbows!

#8 ·
well, for sealing the bones you could just smear them with the GE1 silicone - I suppose the silicone would look clear underwater. (maybe it would look like gelatinous cartilage - lol)
I use Drylock to do my 3D backgrounds - it's a potable water sealer that is stark white straight out of the can - you can tint it with concrete colorants if you want. It's like a watered down concrete, the consistency of cream. You could buy a quart, pour it into a container, and simply dip the skeleton in it, I'd do multiple dips as it dries (it dries pretty fast). It has a small amount of sand grit to it, to, but not enough to take away from the texture of the bones. I get it at Lowes in the paint section.

#13 ·
@Rainer, no, that's not quite what I'm doing, lol. I'm actually not sure what I am doing, it's just a random idea.
Alright, I'll use aquarium silicone. I still have to finish assembling it, but I'll get some pics up when I can!

#14 ·
Okay, that didn't work. I need suggestions for a different sealant, a clear one, because the silicone doesn't work. The bones just have so many little holes and crannies, it's impossible to get something this thick in all of them.

#15 ·
Krylon fusion white! This, with all krylon fusion spraypaints are fish safe. There are also several clear epoxy sealants out there. Which are reef safe I can't tell you

Honestly speaking though I would just put it in. Bone is totally safe for fish. Just make sure it's totally clean/bleached.

#23 ·
I recently posted a similar thread and now have a Deer Antler in my own 10 gal. I left it unsealed entirely and it's been in there for about 6 weeks now. None of my params have changed, and the moss has attached >:} Can't wait for pics of your squirrel!

#24 ·
I'd go with an epoxy sealant. usually you can find some variant of a pour-on (intended for doing coffee tables/bar tops with stuff embedded in them) at most craft stores and Home Depot/Lowes. I've used this stuff in paludarium building, and I've also used it to coat/reinforce a bird skull (not for the paludarium)

Also, vertebrate skeletons are mostly apatite, (I think hydroxy apatite or something, but I'm rusty on this) - basically a calcium phosphate compound. I don't think it would have an immediate affect on pH, but as it is broken down, may contribute to phosphates (I'm guessing here...)

#26 ·
Wow! Hysterical! I did that with my second ex-wife :eek5:. The jawbone kept opening and closing and her legs were clamped together tight! Double check your tank dimentions so no bones have to be reglued. (My apologies to women, squirrels, glue and anyone else I missed...) (...and of course the ex-wife thing is a JOKE - she's still above ground.) :smile:

#27 ·
(...and of course the ex-wife thing is a JOKE - she's still above ground.) :smile:
well of course she is - the tank's above ground!

#31 ·
This is hilarious, a truly ridiculous story. First we need more details on this broken back squirrel story. Some brush on superglue would be probably the best sealer you could use on the bones. They make a really runny form that comes in a bottle with a brush for applying it.

I can't wait to see some actual bones in an aquascape. If done well, it could be really cool. I don't think an articulated squirrel skeleton will look good though. You can only do something really un-natural and cheesy with it, like have it clinging to some driftwood. To make a natural scape that had a squirrel skeleton, basically you'd have a pile of disarticulated bones, half buried in the substrate. Meh

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.