The Planted Tank Forum banner

Going Big - 210 gal. New pics Updated 6-1-13

9K views 59 replies 23 participants last post by  MikeS 
#1 · (Edited)
Going to start my re-do. I haven't quite decided on fish, but either discus or community with large school. I just got the tank back inside from a complete tear down due to new floors. Tomorrow I will start doing a little cleaning and start the scaping. Would love to have water/plants in by this weekend.

We'll just start off with a before pic.

See less See more
#8 ·
Dutch doesn't suit me, although I love any input.

I am leaning towards jungle vals (both red and green), dwarf sag (being more of a ground cover - looks like a lawn), anubias (both large and small) and crypts (different colors), and large rose sword.

Any other ideas for plants? Please use common names too, I don't know the scientific ones.

#9 ·
Me I go n make research for ya...

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/threads/29-gallon-lighthouse-view.2706/

Dimensions: W127 x D60 x H50 cm (W50 x D24 x H20 inches)

Aquatic Plants: Riccardia chamedryfolia, Hygrophila polysperma, Fontinalis antipyretica, Vesicularia antipyretica, Bolbitis heudelotii, Microsorum pteropus “Windelov,” Eleocharis sp., Hydrocotyle sibthorpioides, Anubias barteri var. “nana,” Sagittaria subulata, Hemianthus callitrichoides, Myriophyllum mattogrossense, Microsorum sp., Nymphoides coreana, Pellia endiviifolia

Is nice? Plus all name of plants right there

I personalty like java fern for the way it grows on the branches n its roots go down like in the jungle.

#11 ·
izabella87, thanks!!!! I can't believe I left java fern off my list.

Fish stock is still in the air. 1000 micro fish would be nice, but also have discus or large school of balloon red eye tertas (awesome schoolers - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pq426pf7vWQ&feature=related , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHYi73KcfCI&feature=relmfu ) in a community setting.

Edit - Rummy nose are also in consideration. Plus, driftwood and larger rocks are all hosed off, substrate is in wagon to be wheeled in the house. Have a bunch of small lava stones (black, a little smaller than ping pong balls) that I might use too. Hope to start scaping tomorrow. If I can't sleep, tonight lol

#13 ·
Nice big pieces of wood for a nice big tank!

I wish the straight piece in the left corner was pointing the same way as the other long bit though. It would look great atop big rocks at a bit of an angle and covered with a smaller leaved Anubias and moss though.

Look for larger rocks and/or pile up or arrange what you have in drifting lines. My 180 gallon tank's wood and plants swallowed 12"x8" rocks like they were pebbles. The tank is only a couple weeks old so they are still visible but by the time the plants are grown in they will be nearly invisible. Last time I didn't put in any rocks smaller than my fist and this time most are larger than two fists with 2-4 rocks too large for me to lift with one hand. Not saying I have big hands and am strong or anything but look for BIG stuff for a big tank.

You know dwarf sag is mostly dwarf compared to regular sag, right? It can grow quite tall and most of the wood and all of the rocks would be invisible in no time. If you are planning it as a ground cover along the front of the tank you might look through a plant finder for something that either grows lower or can be mowed. I find hairgrass to be an easy plant but mine does grow +6" and I need to mow it every once in a while [ever so much fun to clean up the mess too]. Marsilea, water clover?, stays low and creeps around with taller 2-4 lobed fronds in dimmer spots. I haven't had Brazilian or microsword in recent times. It looks grassy and stays lower but don't know how easy it is to grow.

#14 ·
I am actually going to try and contain the dwarf sag more this time, although I have had the luck of having it stay shorter, or at least appear that way in this tank. Yes I know the rocks are smaller, but I do that so if/when the dwarf sag spreads, it leaves some areas "open".

Here is a couple pics of my tank taken several years ago.

#17 ·
Really rough outline, so don't be harsh.

Lighter green in front - dwarf sag.

Weird green in rear - Jungle vals, including some red ones

dark green center plant - Amazon or rose sword (XL)

red - red crypts

I want to add either java ferns and/or anubias. Maybe some more, so please, feel free to express ideas.

I will be adding java moss, just haven't decided where.

#18 ·
This is going to be a AWESOME TANK!!!

Can't wait to see how it progresses!

What are the dimensions of the tank?

Drew

#20 ·
Am I the only one to see there's something wrong on left side of this set-up?
The piece of wood going straight up; seems too straight n singled out. Get a few more like this one (same height) or a different piece. Not trying to b harsh but for best interest lol

#22 ·
Unfortunately that in one piece. Not the craziest about the angle, but I do plan on trying moss, and if that fails going to anubias.

BTW - Unfortunately I do not think I am getting any plants until after Thanksgiving. I really wanted to plant the tank empty cause it is so much easier, but think I will fill it just to get the cycling process to start. At least with no livestock in it, I can pretty much drain the whole thing before planting. Just hate the time it takes.

#23 ·
So I did decide to put the water in and get it cycling to see what I could save from the substrate. Excited to see a huge MTS in there on the wall this morning. Gives me hope that bacteria made it too. Now just to get them in the filters (FX5 and Eheim 2180).

#24 ·
I have dwarf sag sprouting all around my tank, about 10 plants. I did a quick tear down of the tank for new flooring and the substrate was put in a giant tote (in wagon). Before I put it back in the tank, over a month and a half later, I thought I had picked out all the left over plant parts. Guess not. A couple of them are at least where I was going to plant it, so I guess add another win.

#26 ·
I am using aquariumplants.com substrate....kinda like kitty litter. I bought it before I read about planted tanks. Not saying there is anything wrong with it. It was cheap and works wonderfully. They only had this color then (yrs ago) but now they have more.

#29 ·
Waiting for UPS to bring some plants today. Of course I forgot to order a couple plants that I wanted too, but that just means I have to make a trip to a good LFS this weekend, right? At least that is what I am telling the wife lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.