The Planted Tank Forum banner

new 140 gallon low techtank

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Hardstuff 
#1 ·
Hey everyone! I been bouncing ideas to start a high tech vs low tech aquarium. I have decided to go low tech. my tank measures 48x24x28H. my substrate is a 50/50 mix of flourite and filter sand. going to dose seachem equlibrium, potassium nitrate, and potassium mono phosphate according to Tom Barrs method. will have low light plants only. fish will be a school of angels and then other small schooling fish and some rams and some Oto's. My filter is a sump with a filter sock and bioballs. My one main concern is lighting. What type and how much wattage should be used?

#2 ·
After reading the lighting sticky about par values I chose to go with thE HD diamond plate 2 x t8 fixture with 6500k bulbs.light is 29.5 inches over substrate.will also make the change to canister filters this weekend and will.also heavily plant tank this weekend as well.

#3 ·
I'm in about the same shape, 135/150 gallon 6 foot tank and thinking of the diamondplate fixture (s) also. Have the wet/dry/sump available but not sure if I should use it... not sure of substrate but I am sure I want planted. and small schoolers.

the only thing I'm really sure of is planted, and hopefully heavily.

#5 ·
is your tank cycled? seems like if you just setup the canister filter.. you aren't cycled yet. those fish will either die or suffer from ammonia burn. i highly suggest researching about how to cycle a tank and then add in the fish once you read 0 across the board when testing your water. if you are cycled (because you used bacteria from an older tank), then please ignore my post :)

#6 ·
the tank has been up and running for about 3 weeks. I just added the canister filter to the system. I will absolutely check all of my levels before adding any fish. I have kept saltwater reef tanks for years. I am new to planted freshwater. I have found there some what of a learning curve even in the first 3 weeks.

#8 ·
about the same but process is much slower as far as adding corals and fish. most corals present a large bioload per coral and if stocked to fast will result in algae outbreaks and loss. extreme lighting also. as much as 5 or 6 watts of metal halide per gallon depending on corals requirements. I ordered 30 amazon swords, 1 red tiger lotus and a mat of christmas moss from aquariumplants.com and ferts from green leaf aquariums. hopefully this will constitute heavy planting for my tank. Will post pics when I get the plants in.

#11 ·
I have the same size tank that I am setting up for my first ever planted tank, also planning to try the low-tech route. I am pretty tall, but I just about need a snorkel to reach the gravel; this is the biggest tank I've ever owned!

#13 ·
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/memberlist.php

Just make sure you cycle your tank first & Quarantine the new fish in a separate holding QT tank first for 3 to 4 weeks. It is more humane to the fish & less stressful on you. Keep track of LFS TDS GH,KH, ph & add prime prior to leaving thje store to hold down ammonia in the bags than you can reset the QT tank to the levels of the LFS & drip acclimate them in to the QT tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.