The Planted Tank Forum banner

freph's Mini M

54K views 298 replies 39 participants last post by  FlyingHellFish 
#1 ·
So, I finally decided to spoil myself a bit and get a Mini M setup with all the bells and whistles (well, mostly). I've got some pretty sweet manten stone and am currently just waiting on a few more items that were on backorder etc. to get to the good stuff. Here's a teaser shot, though.

See less See more
#176 ·
As promised, an update. Had the replacement ADA diffuser shipped out today, should be here Monday or so. $139.95 later... :( Oh well, such is life and the current state of the USD vs JPY. Trimmed the hairgrass down since it was getting unruly. Other than that, everything is on autopilot. Fish next Thursday!

Post WC

About an hour post WC - pearling riccia!

Cool overhead shot. Healthy stuff.

Amano army, assemble!

#189 ·
freph, Judging by the pictures running the diffuser, you have a strong overdose of CO2. I told you at the beginning of your journey to be careful here. I am more than confident that because of this, you have a problem with an aquarium. I'm sorry that you did not take my words too seriously then. Maybe now listen ... Good luck.

#195 ·
Functionally speaking, atomics should be better because of the finer mist. ADA wins aesthetically for me, though. Plus they make micro bubbles fine on their own.

Lol, love the diffuser! Name me a price! :hihi:

Tank looks awesome. When're you getting fish?
Fish Thursday. :) PM me about the diffuser, we can work something out.

#196 ·
CO2 intensity is very well seen in the photo of the diffuser, and do not have to be a child prodigy, which would see the difference with this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...=iv&src_vid=VVR5bfYuffM&v=g63Z6DpNF6s#t=2m49s

Plants began to grow and algae are gone, that's good. But it's been two months after setup! With proper care the plants grow rapidly from the beginning, and algae almost none at the start and very quickly they disappear completely from view.

Now if everything is good, it does not mean it will last forever. I had the same problem with the growth of plants, as you do. Information about an overdose of CO2 in the Internet very little, and the problem with aquariums, many because of this. 1,5-2 bps is a lot, especially after the setup aquarium. 3 bps need for 60 cm. aquarium. In your case, one bps is the maximum dose. After setup need less. In addition to the harmful effects of CO2 on microorganisms, you greatly lower the pH level and the plants also suffer because of this.
Otherwise, how do you explain such a poor condition your plants for two months, if you do everything correctly and use only original products ADA? Do not look into the causes of problems, you will soon get them again.

It looked like my tank after setup,

and to look like in two months

From the beginning, had no problems with algae or the growth of plants.
Doing all the instructions ADA. Added the original fertilizer according to instructions, in the recommended dose (1 ml for each fertilizer). And I am fully confident that if I added CO2 in the quantities that you make, I would have the same problems with the aquarium as you.

#197 ·
Gorgeous tank. Honestly, I think my bigges downfalls were not starting with enough plant mass and then replanting the tank. However, I'll take your advice and drop the CO2 down a bit. I wonder if ADA's diffusers and bubble counter work with each other through different back pressures on the counter from different ceramic disks type and the bps stepping is the same for all tanks?

#202 ·
I think you are absolutely correct about watching how things react. I am sure the current "master" will tell you that watching the plants response is a much better idea then using the "invented" BPS that is stated somewhere. For Bozhkov, one BPS worked, no need to change it, for ANY other tank it may be different. That number is a baseline and you adjust based on the individual aquarium. The placement of the diffuser and diffusion rate change the BPS needed to keep the plants liking it best. My advice, dont follow anyones advice, only take it into consideration. You know what is working for your tank, don't doubt it. Do what you are doing and keep that riccia looking AWESOME!

#205 ·
Riccia looks awesome regardless. ;) Stuff pearls like crazy for me and all stones have an inch thick worth of growth on them since I redid the stones. Insane. I believe I may have had just a tad too much CO2 in the system since the plants are just as vibrant at 1bps as they were with 1.5-2, so.

i agree, bps is how much CO2 goes into the tank, not necessarily how much the tank retains, or is useable.
the changes in plants and fauna are the best things for gauging if you need more, less, or got it right.
Agreed. Every tank will have different needs and the only way to figure that out is to be scientific about it.

Yeah. Results-driven tanking, ftw!

Can't wait to receive the diffuser, btw! :proud:
Can't wait for you to get it! I know you've been wanting an ADA diffuser for ages. Unfortunately, this is the best I can do for you. :(

#218 ·
So....I really let this tank get out of hand. Algae infestation from another planet. I got the hair algae under control and the GSA on the glosso.....but my riccia turned to mush. Might've been the large amounts of Excel that were being poured in to kill the hair algae (which worked amazingly, mind you). Oh well. Took 2 stones out and did a massive trim that consisted of 2 water changes with a general mow-down and some fine pruning. I'll post the aftermath tomorrow night after the tank has a recovery day. It needs a break too, ya know. :fish:

#219 ·
Why is all that bad? Maybe it's a curse? :)
All much simpler. Night aeration and moderate amounts of CO2 during the day. Decide with CO2, set the Drop Checker.
Judging by the presence of the hair algae and the GSA have begun to deficiency of macro. Check the parameters of the water and if the tests shows zeros, go to Special lights (in exchange Step)

#220 ·
Shouldn't have been a macro deficiency...I've been dosing the recommended amount of Brighty K, Green Brighty Step 1 and Green Brighty Special Lights for a good while now. The spirogyra was probably just due to inadequate CO2 distribution since my flow was turned down quite a bit while the right side grew in (otherwise the filter outflow would blow the substrate out if I turned it up more). It's fine now, though. 99% of the algae is gone. A major issue was probably the underlying riccia melting away as well....but I'm not entirely sure. I'll re-tie the stones I removed with good riccia from the 20L and also the other two stones if those don't recover.

Night time aeration...again, an issue of flow control. That side was not grown in so I couldn't really do it. Now that things are back in good condition, I'll start doing it again. CO2 was dropped down after the trim a tad since there's not as much plant mass right now. Green Gain and Phyton Git added to help plants grow back in and keep the algae at bay.

#221 ·
Alright, it's official. Redoing the tank on Sunday (assuming everything comes in on Saturday). I want a much cleaner execution this time around. Tank inhabitants will be hanging out in my 20g in the meantime. Instead of using two smaller riccia stones, I'll just use one large one in the setup so I can make the carpet as neat as possible (that and I've got this great 3.5" x 2" piece of slate that's perfect for a large riccia mass).

The back/midback sections will consist of E. acicularis and H. tenellum 'micro' for height and a lovely color deviation. The foreground will contain that one large riccia mass and glosso. I'm planning to pick up some E. parvula from PetsMart (their little gel packs are great for quick plug and play - cheap for what you get, too since there's no overnight shipping fees!) and do a little bit of planning. Since the rock has such a nice size to it, I'm going to plant bunches of E. parvula at the base of the rock so they'll hide the base of it and smooth its blending into the scape as a whole. I think this will be much better than my idea of just letting glosso and Belem grass go rampant.

To those of you that mentioned lower substrate depth from the get-go, consider this your personal victory. The substrate line is being dropped about an inch as well. I believe this will solve the issue of the filter outflow kicking up soil at the beginning of the setup so I can optimize the flow and CO2 distribution from the start and prevent excess algae or other issues. Daily water changes for the first couple of weeks (or more, as I deem necessary) will ensure more balance for the system.

The tank will receive a thorough cleaning via bleach being run through the filtration system (all canister media removed, of course) for a few hours and then rinsed well and dechlorinated for an hour before I begin the actual setup. The rock will be cleaned separately to avoid bleaching of its lovely tones (H2O2 and a toothbrush).

#224 ·
Hi! Filter is crucial to set up your aquarium. If you first start the nitrogen cycle, and then plant the plants, you will have no problems (if you strictly follow the instructions ADA).
The best way to use a filter from another tank. Since you washed filter (I would not have done), the easiest and most reliable way is to pour the substrate with additives, to set up the stones and the filter. Do not plant the plants and do not substitute water. Just wait until the water disappears ammonium.
Then drain all water to plant the plants and to enjoy the aquarium without the algae.
About aeration you know. Symptoms of overdose of CO2 will be elongated leaves of the glosso.
--
P.S. Sorry for my English. Blame It on Google translator :icon_mrgr

#227 ·
I can't believe I haven't posted any pictures of this tank since the reset. It looks a lot better to say the least, but the substrate is still bothering me. That, and I'm redoing the tank with HC and a different hairgrass pattern. Anyone wanna buy some glosso/belem grass mix? ;) Full carpet worth.

My everyday view:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.