The Planted Tank Forum banner

How Much GH Booster??

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  newbie123 
#1 ·
Hello, this my first thread. My question is how much GH booster should I add at my weekly water change? I have a 75 gallon tank and my GH is 2 degees or 40ppm. I'm not really sure what the optimal GH range is, I thought it was supposed to be around 200ppm.
Some advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Newbie123

#4 ·
Hi Newbie123,

I have very soft water where I live here in Seattle with typically 2.0 dGH or lessAt a GSAS presentation in September of 2010 I asked Tom Barr what he recommended as the parameters for dKH and dGH. Tom has soft water where he lives in the Bay Areas and he said targeted about 4.0 dGH and that he didn't worry too much about dKH as long as there was enough carbonate to avoid PH crashing when adding CO2.

I target 2.0 dKH and 4.0 dGH and can grow most species with the possible exception of those that prefer really hard water.

10 gallon low tech; PAR@25; EI dosing; no CO2 but I do add Excel/glutaraldehyde

#5 ·
Thanks Seattle, my kh is 11 dkh so I assume my ph should be pretty stable. I'm just wondering how much difference it will make raising my gh. Most of my plants grow well just my rotala seem to be struggling. I've read that you want your kh and gh around the same.
I wonder how important that is, or if it's true? I guess if Tom barr isn't concerned about that neither should I. I think I'll just shoot for around gh5 dkh.
Thanks.

#6 ·
Hi newbie123,

I do not believe that there is any need for the dKH and the dGH to be about the same. As long as there are adequate minerals for healthy plant growth you should not experience any issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.