The Planted Tank Forum banner

fert for moss?

3K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  newbieplanter 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this might sound funny to most cuz a lot of people grow moss with just light or so i hear anyway. My question is what would a great moss fertilizer be and is liquid better than tabs/stcks? I ask cuz i got some x-mas moss from off ebay and it started to turn brown in my tank after about two weeks. I put it on rocks then wraped with thread after it started turning brown i got fert ( liquid ) so its been a few days but i think its a lost cause. Any help is all good.

#5 ·
Yep, their gonna send more to replace it. It's the x-mas moss but i told them to send me some java moss and I'm gonna try n get them to send some flame and weeping moss too. You have any sugestions on how to take care of it me personaly i think it was the water change that did it cuz when i did the last water change the water was colder than normaly what i put in my tank so i think it shocked it or something like that i really dont know.

#10 ·
i have manated to revive brownish/drab green moss by putting it in its own container and dosing with NPK (8-7-6) formulation. it took about 3-4 days before signs of recovery was evident. after 2 months, the container was fully dark rich green. i think the water was changed maybe once... i usually dumped the water into a larger pot for watering and refilled with filtered water (tds 8ppm) from our pantry in the office. dont lose hope.
:)

#12 ·
I don't know I put some root tabs in the tanks around the rocks that have the moss on them in one tank the moss is all brown the other the moss is brown with one little circle of green in the middle the circle has to be about 3/4" diameter that's the only thing holding me from trashing it all.

#14 ·
Yea I know the prices, sorry but I have to put an end to this whol back an forth thing cuz I'm not getting the info I'm looks for but as my name states newbieplanter I placed one order with them the plants were fine when they got here then I know it was something I did that killed them it was just an expearament cuz I knew my turtles would either kill them or eat em anytime I get anything from eBay I want it fast so yea the store has great sales an prices but the shipping time I hate waiting for so if its any constellation to u or any other mail/ border/ patrol agents I won't be ordering from them any more as was my plan in the first place I'm sorry I offended u or anyone else by not spending my $10 for 3 orders of moss and 1 order of java fern here in the US I also didn't pay shipping. Now u can say I got double the order from them cuz their gonna replace all my plants that died that part I know for fact u will never get here in the US unless its comin from a friend and even then they make u pay for something. Thank You and Goodnight!

#17 ·
I think you're a bit mistaken about what forum members are trying to do: help you. Some members told you what you could do to try to revive your moss and encourage new growth. As a member (not just a moderator), I pointed out that it's illegal to import plant matter without proper documentation and encouraged you to support hobbyists inside the United States. It's not more expensive to do so than it is to illegally import plants.

Your best bet is to file an eBay/PayPal dispute with the company you bought from, get your money back and then use those funds to buy moss here on the forum. You'll not only get a larger quantity but it won't be dead when it arrives. An added bonus: It won't be an illegal importation.

Since you're new to the hobby, there's an obviously learning curve and you'll recover from the moss mistake quickly. We're attempting to guide you in the right direction so you get what you want, spend less money getting it and experience as little frustration as possible.

#15 ·
Whoa man, hold up here.
I know how it feels when you're just starting out and looking for advice and a bunch of people tell you you're doing it wrong, and it feels like you're being judged and attacked, but you're not. I promise.
Now u can say I got double the order from them cuz their gonna replace all my plants that died that part I know for fact u will never get here in the US unless its comin from a friend and even then they make u pay for something
And as for this statement here, you are just plain mistaken, my friend! I myself have had several experiences purchasing from the really nice people here on TPT, and any time it arrived subpar, the seller was super kind and considerate and re-sent the product free of charge!
Just chill out, tuck away the chip on your shoulder, and it'll all work for the best :]

#16 ·
Whoa man, hold up here.
I know how it feels when you're just starting out and looking for advice and a bunch of people tell you you're doing it wrong, and it feels like you're being judged and attacked, but you're not. I promise.

And as for this statement here, you are just plain mistaken, my friend! I myself have had several experiences purchasing from the really nice people here on TPT, and any time it arrived subpar, the seller was super kind and considerate and re-sent the product free of charge!
Just chill out, tuck away the chip on your shoulder, and it'll all work for the best :]
Man I hope so just as with the dead moss in my tank ill keep tryin. THANKS!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.