The Planted Tank Forum banner

New DIY Stand for 30 gal

4K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  temple2101 
#1 ·
This was my summer project for my aquarium. Solid walnut. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Well it's actually a hobby of my dad's. I'm in veterinary school. He helped me a little with building it, showing me how to use the various tools and basic cabinet construction, but I designed it, told him what I wanted to do and he showed me how to go about doing it and let me do it. It was pretty fun building it. It definitely helped having the guidance of a skilled woodworker though.

#17 ·
WOW! Very nice job and the first time I have seen anyone using dovetails in their cabinet construction.

I am assuming that no stain was used but you did seal with the Rustoleum Polyurethane pictured? Give us details on the finishing steps.

#18 ·
For finishing, I sanded everything with progressively finer grit until everything was sanded with 220. No stain was used and yes, I used the polyurethane pictured, I just applied several coats to make sure everything was protected from water damage as much as possible. That's all there was to it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.