The Planted Tank Forum banner

panda cory question

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Ziggy 
#1 ·
Hi. I got seven panda cories yesterday and they are, of course, astounding cute and fun. They are in a tank in my kitchen at the moment because that was the easiest one to remove the other residents from. Pretty much any activity in the kitchen is causing them to "hide"--pile in a little corner of the tank and not move for a while. This is not surprising since they have been here such a short time, but will they get more comfortable being in an active area of the house? Or would they be happier long term in a quieter part of the house? Also, would they be more comfortable sharing a tank with some other fish (I'm assuming something peaceful, but bolder) or are they OK in a species tank?

Thanks,
Leah

#2 ·
I think any fish would prefer a quieter place. However, I have my tank in the living room (the most active room in the house)and they'll swim around easily. Of course I do have a lot of places for them to run and hide if they get startled. I also find them to be more active at night.

#3 ·
When I just got my panda cories and put them in my 10 gallon quarantine tank they hide anytime I got near the tank, even to feed them. Since moving them into my well planted 40 gallon tank they're astoundingly active no matter what goes on around them. Even though they rarely hide, I think the safety of knowing that there are lots of hiding places has helped them alot.

#4 ·
Thanks for the information! Betta and, years ago, goldfish, have been quite happy with the kitchen activity. They are more out and about this morning, but I'm ruminating on the best way to go about tank swamping and moving them. Now, I just have to decide whether harlequin rasbora would be happy down here!

Leah

#5 ·
Although others have said the obvious (give them hiding space, keep them in a group, sound advice for any fish really), generally speaking I've found corys to be somewhat less concerned about whats going on outside the tank, at least compared to tetras and the like. They seem to get "in the zone" where they are just on a mission digging in the sand and even a cat pawing at the glass doesn't phase them. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.