The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fixed one algae problem, now I have another...

2K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  kirlo357 
#1 ·
So, i posted awhile back about some other stringy algae. That is finally gone-I had to take out the Java Moss it was entrenched in. Keeping the parts that had rooted on to the driftwood. It hasn't come back yet. Now I have these little fuzzball algaes, not many and they are small, growing on my driftwood. I think they are BBA? The first pic has them in it. Also, as you can see in the first pick, my Java Moss is infested with algae, and doesn't seem to be growing well. (Pic 1)

I also have what I think is green spot algae all over my tank walls. I scrape it off at weekly water changes, but it is back by the end of the week. I also have fuzzy green algae growing on my filter (pic 2 and 3)

Last but not least, I have black algae growing on my plants-not on the newest healthiest growth, but on the older leaves. The older ones seem to be wilting, and slowly turn brown-that's when the algae takes over. And it is not bothered by water flow or height in my tank, it is anywhere the plant is wilting. (pic 4)

Drop checker color (pic 5)

In the last week I finally figured out what I needed to have set-up to keep my Co2 lvl constant (drop checker the same color) So, I know that is a problem. I had been dosing EI method, but when I started having algae problems I cut back 2 hours on the light and stopped dosing EI till I could get my Co2 under control. Now that I have that figured out, I started dosing EI three days ago-today is water change day-but kept my lights on for 8 hrs/day.

I am wondering what these algaes are, how they took root in my aquarium and how to fix them. Also, will me now getting Co2 under control and starting ferts again fix the problem on its own?

I want to keep it as a fast growing tank, if I can keep it balanced. Right now it is not doing to good. I know since I have so much light on it I will need plenty of Co2 and ferts, but I need to keep the balance correct.
Thank you!!

Specs:
29g Tall
1 each Penguin and Aquaclear 150GPH filters
4x24watt T-5 lights (8 hrs light/day)
Temp: 80-81F
DIY Co2: 2x2-liter bottle, 1x3-liter bottle

pH: 7.4
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite:0ppm
Nitrate:0ppm
Temp: 80-81F

Assorted cories, barbs, shrimp, snails and Kuhli Loaches

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Picture 1: The brown fibers appear to be java moss rhizomes, not algae. It's their version of roots.

Picture 2: GSA. Caused by insufficient phosphate, too much light, or too long a photoperiod. Probably the phosphate in your case since you took a break on ferts. Keep cleaning it off, and see if rate of regrowth slows as your tank adjusts to the new parameters.

Picture 3: Try rubbing one of the large green spots near the waterline off. If it's soft, slimy, and smells bad, it's BGA. Otherwise, harmless. BGA is toxic, consumes disproportionately large amounts of nitrates, and can form symbiotic relationships with other algae; all of which can cause problems beyond just being unsightly.

Picture 4: Yep, BBA. Low CO2, high organic wastes, and unhealthy plant leaves (which release organic wastes) contribute to its growth. Assuming your tank conditions are now good, the plants have the potential to recover, and BBA will stop appearing. However, the BBA acts as a parasite to the plant, which can keep it unhealthy despite good tank conditions. Trim away the worst of it, if possible. Spot treat the rest with H2O2 or Excel. Or do a whole-tank Excel overdose of 2-3x. I'd recommend looking up details on these treatments if you've never done one before. Not all plants tolerate Excel, and dosing too much of either can cause problems.

#3 ·
Thank you!
I need to do some research on Java Moss growth! :D

I'll keep cleaning the tank walls and see if this week it slows down any.

The green spots: I wouldn't say they are slimey, more "hairy" kinda like the spots on my tank walls. Definitely soft though. But no notable foul odor-it didn't make me flinch or anything. Could it be GSA, like on the walls? That is the only spot that it appears in bigger patches-maybe b/c I clean the walls and have just left the filter alone? It's had more time to grow.

I will trim all the bad spots away this water change and spot treat. Will an overdose of excel hurt my shrimps?

#4 ·
The green spots: I wouldn't say they are slimey, more "hairy" kinda like the spots on my tank walls. Definitely soft though. But no notable foul odor-it didn't make me flinch or anything. Could it be GSA, like on the walls? That is the only spot that it appears in bigger patches-maybe b/c I clean the walls and have just left the filter alone? It's had more time to grow.
Hard to tell from that description; but if it's not clearly BGA, I wouldn't worry about it.

I will trim all the bad spots away this water change and spot treat. Will an overdose of excel hurt my shrimps?
I don't keep shrimp, but I know some people have had problems with Excel overdoses and the more sensitive shrimp species.

Any spot treatment turns into a whole-tank treatment the instant you turn the filters back on; and since a normal Excel dose is so small, you're extremely limited to how much you can spot treat with it. H2O2 spot treatments are easier to work with, at 2ml/G (or 2 tbsp/10G) for a typical safe dose, or half that if you want to be extra cautious.

#5 ·
Ok, good. About the BGA.

I just have ghost shrimp, so I think they would be ok. And I have H2O2 on hand, so I'll try that first.

If I have to get to the excel treament-does that overdose go on for 2-3 days?

I took everything out of the tank last night, scrubbed it all down and cut off anything that looks unhealthy or that has algae. Left me with some pretty scrawny plants :p I guess in a week or so I'll know if my tanks conditions are healthy for the plants or not. ...and if any survive the weed whacking. lol

#6 ·
Ghost shrimp I think are pretty hardy. And if not... well, at least they're cheap. :hihi:

Excel treatment is continued until you're happy with the results. I'll usually use it up to a week. At that point, if it hasn't worked, I up the dose or try something else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.