The Planted Tank Forum banner

World record for shipping live invertebrates!

3K views 42 replies 25 participants last post by  mordalphus 
#1 ·
I'm happy to announce that I hold the title for longest time for a surviving shipment!

I sent a sexed pair of CPO to someone in Florida on September 5th, and I just got it back marked "unclaimed", today. I got home and expected a stinky box, and when I opened it, to my surprise, there was 2 healthy CPO staring at me from their bags.

So there ya go, 91 days in the mail, from freezing washington to burning hot florida, and back to freezing washington and still alive. Talk about a live arrival guarantee ;)

I thought it was amazing, so I thought I'd share.

#3 ·
They're feasting on bloodworms right now, however they ate well in their bags, about half of the moss I sent with them was eaten.

Luckily I ship in acidic water, and they are air breathers, therefore they will not have a gill burn from ammonia.

#5 ·
the bags were clean, just bits of moss in the bottom from them chewing it. They didn't grow or molt, they didn't have to.

Also, they are cold blooded, so being in a cool environment slows their metabolism. They were likely hibernating for most of the time. ;)

And no, I kicked myself for not taking pictures of them before putting them into the CPO tank. They're in there now eating. They just look normal though, didn't look stressed or anything, the color was strong and orange, not clear like when they're stressed.

#11 ·
You'd be surprised, my record for crystal shrimp was 50 days. Same situation but on the 2nd delivery attempt, the recipients mother refused the package so it got sent back to me early. They came back, packed 5 to a breather bag safe and sound just very clear looking.

PFR a similar story, just the person forgot to get them from the post office, they came back and there was only 4 out of 10 in the bag... the other 6 mysteriously 'disappeared', I'm afraid they disappeared 'Donner style'.

#13 ·
A few years ago I ordered some black tigers from a guy in Spain, they arrived after 6 weeks, all alive. They were packaged one per breather bag and shipped in a Styrofoam cooler. I thought there was no way they would arrive alive, but they did, it was amazing...

That said, I've ordered shrimp from Los Angeles to Seattle and overnight they arrived dead too... And plenty more stories like that, sometimes it's just luck!

#20 ·
Yeah, they paid me, but then when the post office left a notice (3 notices in total), they never came and picked it up.

I sent them an email letting them know, and asking if they'd like me to reship them, but no word from them yet. If I don't hear from them I'll just refund the money (minus shipping) and forget about them.

Running a mail order business I get some really weird things that happen, people ordering and forgetting about it is actually one of the more common things.

#23 ·
What kind of fish owner doesn't care about their shipments. I act like a little kid on christmas when I know my little guys are in the mail. I usually rush home and check the front door right away. What a shame but amazing the little guys survived. I think you need to keep those guys, breed them and sell the babies, they have the terminator gene.

#25 ·
I mailed a shipment of neos that stayed in limbo because of Storm Sandy. Lost 7 days and still they were fine when opened.

I received a package of golden endlers (which I've since given to a friend) that last 9 days after getting lost in the mail and showed no ill effects!

BUT 90 days takes the cake!

I agree though. When I order new shrimp for myself, I check the mail constantly! To forget... how the heck would you forget (?!?!)

#26 ·
Idk how anyone could forget. Just yesterday I picked up a package from the post office. As soon as it arrived in my town I ran over. The lady was nice enough to pull my box off the truck for me. And I did a little dance when she brought it over. The guy behind me was said "so excited over a package". I didn't even say anything. Just ran home to start drip acclimating

#32 ·
Ive had a package destined from norcal to socal(should be 1 day shipping) and somehow it got misrouted to mississippi, then denver, then back to CA 9 days later it was delivered. Since i figured it was a lost cause i reshipped another pack of shrimp to the lady. She got those in a day and then almost a week later the second package showed up on her doorstep also lol. She got a killer deal on buy one get one free blue pearls thanks to the ding ding mail. But all shrimp were alive and well. This thread is the exact reason why i think its silly that people ship express or overnight only. The only reason i would ship overnight would be for some ebiten or some really really expensive fish/inverts/corals

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.