The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society?

7K views 88 replies 11 participants last post by  Qwe 
#1 ·
Is Anyone here a member of the Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society? This is the club for Western Massachusetts.

I have been a member from time to time, they have good speakers. Most of the members are cichlid people. They don't have meetings in July and August but start back up in September.

I was wondering if we might go and trade plants or whatever. I could probaly host a similar meeting at my house.

For what it's worth I have been in this hobby for almost 20 year and currently run a high tech tank with heating cables, chiller, T5 lights, co2 and rest.

#53 ·
Sorry to hear you can't make it AquaStudent.

0live, anything we can do to help you make it?

Anyone else, feel free to come meet me and say hi, love meeting board members! I'll be behind a computer or running around trying to help out in some way... in my usual green Hawaiian shirt.

Also have some Hygro polysperma that I wouldn't submit to an auction, but if anyone wants, let me know and I'll bring some.

#55 ·
I believe it is 50-50, but I will check and get backmto you on that.

Also, I will have a limited number of 8 inch bags and rubber bands available to plantedtank members at no cost if needed. I know most people here know to double bag, but emergencies crop up.

#57 ·
There are usually several hundred. We packed out the old place. I have seen the 50-50 raffle get as high as $900. We usually need the whole day to get through all the lots. I can't say how much equipment there is, but there will be some, and there will definitely be plants! Over 2/3 of what I am bringing is plants. 120 miles is a haul for some for a day event. If it isn't worth it I will give you an extra rubber band free!

#59 ·
That's almost how far it was to the TFSRI auction, we totally thought it was worth it, and this one is supposed to be so much bigger! If you can find someone to carpool with, that makes it even more enjoyable. Plus I'll be bringing a few plants myself ;)

I'm pretty sure it is 50/50 0live... seems to be the norm around here.

#61 ·
I will be wearing a blue polo with "Tux" the Linux penguin on it. Or, If cold I will be wearing a Time Lord hoodie.

My daughter (bright hair, "perfectly" and "imperfect" tattooed on her arms will be making a promo piece for the PVAS (and for her resume) so please let her ask a few questions if she needs you! Thanks!

#65 ·
It went very well. Auction started at 11:30 and I left near the end, around 4. Sold all my stuff, bought 6 small green leopard angels, 2 albino show guppies, and some Sakura shrimp. My daughter won a 5 gallon Marineland Eclipse hex aquarium.

The quality of the fish was excellent. There were a lot of extremely nice show guppies, a lot of nice angels, tons of African cichlids (very popular out here), and a lot of gorgeous plants.I will post some pics after I recover. It was nice meeting some of you!

#71 ·
Super bummed I missed it this year! I was busy moving (to Holyoke!) during pretty much all of my free time in February. The auction slipped my mind!

Anything else on the horizon? Plant swaps?

#75 ·
from an email regarding the May meeting ....

"the May meeting date has been changed to Monday, May 19. This change is for the May meeting only! Normally we have a fish store visit in May, but this year the board thought it would be nice to do something more special. It will take more time than we had to plan it, though, so we will have a trip further afield in October.

From here on in, the monthly meetings will begin unofficially at 6:30 pm. The half-hour before announcements can be check-in time for contest photos, auction items and bowl fish, and previously, there just never was enough time in the schedule for scuttlebutt! Hopefully this will help solve that problem, and I hope to see you at 6:30!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.