The Planted Tank Forum banner

Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society?

7K views 88 replies 11 participants last post by  Qwe 
#1 ·
Is Anyone here a member of the Pioneer Valley Aquarium Society? This is the club for Western Massachusetts.

I have been a member from time to time, they have good speakers. Most of the members are cichlid people. They don't have meetings in July and August but start back up in September.

I was wondering if we might go and trade plants or whatever. I could probaly host a similar meeting at my house.

For what it's worth I have been in this hobby for almost 20 year and currently run a high tech tank with heating cables, chiller, T5 lights, co2 and rest.

#31 ·
Totally worth it AquaStudent, it's an hour drive for me!

No kids have been there yet, but I couldn't see them kicking him out or anything... although he might get bored. The average age is probably above 50, which is why more of us younger folk need to get involved so it doesn't dissolve in the coming years.

Looks like this is shaping up to be a great meetup! I'll probably see what plants I should trim for the auction as well.

#34 ·
There is a parking lot for the museum that we park in, access to it is on Edwards St. There are signs for science museum parking.

Auction is simple and laid back, not enough people to make it very competitive or anything. Just let someone up front know if you have something to be auctioned when you get there, and there's a table to the left where it will all go. During the actual auction, the auctioneer takes each lot, says what it is, and start the bidding (usually at $1 I think). If no one wants to bid, he will try to urge people on so as to contribute to the club.

#35 ·
Excellent. Well I'm about to head out. I'm wearing a red puma jacket and may be bundled up in a gigantic coat and hat since I'm not a fan of this Northerly weather.

Not sure if I should bring anything to the auction (I'd end up just donating it to the club). All I really have is some floating plant medley composed mostly of Dwarf Water Lettuce and duckweed.

#41 ·
The talk was thrown together by Scott Craig (club president) kinda last minute, so he just did a presentation on filtration.

There's a new person working on the website now, and I'm sure she will keep it updated each month with who will be talking about what at each meeting, but we'll see.

#42 ·
Yah, I missed it again lol. Being disabled sucks. I assume there will be a meeting in Feb. before auction day? At the very least there is no way I am missing the auction! I have a Kliener Bar sword, a group of dwarf sag, and likely some assassin snails to auction off!

#44 ·
Okay, great. Will definitely try to be there. Won't have any shrimp for this year's auction, but I have a number of plants I will probably auction.

Also we have a ton of dwarf sag babies, pretty trumpet snails, and assassin snails. I can bring some to the next meeting if anyone wants some.

#49 ·
Sadly I don't think I'll be able to make the auction. I'll be up in the Adirondacks and had to choose between driving half an hour west and go hiking for the day or drive four hours to the auction (2 hours past my house). Sorry guys.

Maybe after the semester I'll be able to come to another meeting too. I teach on Monday night so can't make it out there.

Best of luck with the auction! It sounds like a great time

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.