22K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  Steve001 
#1 · (Edited)
Got a better phone (Nokia 1020) so a little better video:

http://youtu.be/RIfAIUemeVI

Completely re-did this setup, using these:

led bubble wands
:)

=============================

Love LED lights, but have always thought the blue LED moonlights looked pretty ridiculousness. I know that no aquarium is 'natural' but that nice green natural look just doesn't go well with psychedelic blue lights.

First - the result! Pic below was taken on a 10 second exposure - the bright orange light is the 'on' light from my heater. That gives you an idea how dim this is, with a cell phone the pic is just black. In person you barely notice any light in the tank if there is any other light source in the room - even just a TV. But if all the lights are out in the room the tank glows like full moonlight through a window - very cool effect! The LED 'shimmer' is even more pronounced than when the brights are on during the day :)

If you are up and night a lot or sleep with the tank in the same room, this would be a cool option. This is with just 2 low output LEDs, a purpose made light bar with several more would be a cool idea. (view this pic full size to really get the effect!)

UPDATE! Video - keep in mind this is the best my camera can do. You can really get the idea and see the shimmer, but the whole interior of the tank has a slight 'glow' that you can't see here. Really cool effect, and just bright enough to shimmer the floor under the tank if the room is dark:

http://youtu.be/zYJ4MWjJcAQ

How I got here:

So I started my quest for more natural looking moonlights - cheap if possible! My first attempt worked nicely, but only lasts for a few hours and has it's own issues. I didn' get a pic, but basically I cut all the plastic away from an outdoor solar sidewalk type light and was left with a rechargeable AA battery wired to a little circuit board an an LED. Positioned it so the led ponted down and the solar panel was on the brace in the middle of the tank pointing up - tank light chaged the battery, little dim led came on when the light went out. looked good!

So, proof of concept out of the way, here is the final product. Needed 2 LED nightlight form the dollar store, and I mounted mine to the hollow shell that used to be my florescent hood (with wiring, wire nuts and strain relief left over from the light) In pics:

Crappy dollar store LED nightlight, 2 pack for under $4

Disassemble, heat solder on prongs and pull out prongs. Reheat solder and solder on the ends of the wire where the prongs used to be

Also cut case to let the wire 'out', little wire-ties for strain relief.

Double sided sticky tape into old hood shell. (this shell covers my fugeray, plenty of room in hood "window" for both the Fugeray and the nightlights to point into the tank)

See less See more
#12 ·
#18 ·
So glad i found this thread! Have been looking for something to give me a "moonlight" effect. Kits/lights aren't doing it for me. Thought about making my own circuit but even after 2 semesters of electrical engineering class i still can't design a circuit from scratch. (hate eletrical engineering lol)

If i can find an led nighlate in a dollar store near me i have a few ideas to add to this :proud:

#21 ·
So would the "cool" white (blueish tint) LED be better to use than a blue one or warm white?

I'm thinking of getting some of the micro LED battery operated Christmas lights to use on my 75 gal or even the button sized LEDs.

And then I came across an RGB 40" flexible light strip on ebay (Item # 140800833119). I like that I can make it all blue or all yellow or blue/white, etc. Plus it has brightness control to dim the lights. What does anyone think of this product? I know this one is non-waterproof but I'd attach it to my light fixture which is well above the water. Would that be alright or would the moisture be too much for it?

I'm still trying to figure out the best way to go for the least amount of money & which color is best. I want mine to be a bit brighter than shown in the video so I can see my fish just a bit more.

#24 ·
Thanks ... full moon nights don't look blue to me but everywhere I looked at moonlights that's the color they used so wondered about that.

My tank is in the same room as my computer monitor/TV so there's a bit of light that comes from that. At night I change my browser color to black to cut down on the ambient light coming from it but not every page shows up right that way. The things we do for our fish. LOL

#25 ·
diy moonlights

Tank looks great I made a simular set up awhile back out of wallmart night lights. I completly disasembled them and then wired 6 together. I cut the concave bottem out of 6 soda cans, drilled out the centers and glued them to each light holder.( Like a flashlight reflecter) the effect is awesome and one great aspect is that they go on automaticly when the room gets dark Mark

#26 ·
Tank looks great I made a simular set up awhile back out of wallmart night lights. I completly disasembled them and then wired 6 together. I cut the concave bottem out of 6 soda cans, drilled out the centers and glued them to each light holder.( Like a flashlight reflecter) the effect is awesome and one great aspect is that they go on automaticly when the room gets dark Mark
Another really cool idea. Thanks for the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.