Map Turtle Help
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 04-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #1
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Map Turtle Help

Long story short...
My neighbor "rescued" a perfectly fine baby map turtle from a creek about a year ago. When I moved in I saw the disaster of a 10g tank he was keeping it in, and offered to rescue it myself. I've been through a few tanks with her so far but I don't have the correct tank for her. At first I kept her in my 55g with my aggressive fish, but didn't have the correct hood to allow for proper basking area. All else I had was a 20g rimless I was planning to do intensive aquascaping in so for now I made a tiny beach and basking area. Only about 10g total of water in the tank. I KNOW I can't keep her in here for much longer and I feel absolutely horrible about the conditions she's being kept in. I do not have the funds/space to get a proper sized tank. My question now is would it be ok to take her back to that same creek and release her into the wild? She has been in captivity for over a year now and I'm horribly afraid she won't remember how to hunt. My other option is taking her to a LFS and hoping for the best but the odds of her ending up in a good home are slim to none. Nevertheless, something needs to happen soon. I don't want her in this tiny tank any longer than she has to be. Please help.
Kirbybtf is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Rob in Puyallup
Opae Ula Crazed.

PTrader: (3/100%)
Default Re: Map Turtle Help

Turtles have been around for a zillion years. I'm thinking that they're pretty much hardwired for hunting and catching food.

If she's healthy, eating and catching live fish in her tank she shouldn't have any problems in her native home.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2
Rob in Puyallup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2013, 06:02 AM   #3
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's part of the problem, she completely ignores any and all fish in her tank. I stocked the 20g with 2 feeder fish and she pays no attention to them. Hence why I'm worried she wont hunt in the wild.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
Fishumms
Planted Member

I do not know how helpful this experience will be, but I will relate it anyway. I had some tree frogs that had come from tadpoles a friend of mine rescued from a drying puddle. At certain times it seemed that they would completely ignore their food, crickets, for up to a month at a time. They never seemed unhealthy and they were always very active and loud and reproduced with no problems. The only thing I could attribute it to was changes in the seasons. Also, we have to remember that frogs/ turtles are cold blooded. They really don't need to eat quite like us mammals do.

Also, a friend of mine had a turtle, who eventually dug out of his yard and escaped, but he had a similar experience as you have. Basically, he fed the turtle table scraps, and it became to lazy to ever bother with any feeder fish. They all survived and are now rather large goldfish in his pond.
Fishumms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 02:16 AM   #5
Fishermike
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

It's best not to release animals that have been kept with non-natives for any length of time. You never know what they may be a asymptomatic carriers of - you could release a new disease or parasite into your area.

Here in CA, it's illegal to release native desert tortoises that have been in captivity due to their potential to infect the wild population. Just re-home the turtle if you don't want it anymore. Map turtles are popular, shouldn't be too hard to find somebody who wants it.
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirbybtf View Post
That's part of the problem, she completely ignores any and all fish in her tank. I stocked the 20g with 2 feeder fish and she pays no attention to them. Hence why I'm worried she wont hunt in the wild.

They dont eat fish in the wild but snails, crayfish , aquatic insects, well they do eat dead fish but other than the big females they don't go after them.

My friend has maps and sliders in her pond and the maps never go after fish unless dead.

The Map will do fine in any pond, lake .
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

Good news. She is happily living in my cichlid tank now, with a beautiful basking spot and 60 gallons of swimming room. Fresh veggies daily and fish friends. My yellow lab is acting very strange and seems to have become quite enamored with the turtle! It never leaves her side. It's quite adorable

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 04-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Good news. She is happily living in my cichlid tank now, with a beautiful basking spot and 60 gallons of swimming room. Fresh veggies daily and fish friends. My yellow lab is acting very strange and seems to have become quite enamored with the turtle! It never leaves her side. It's quite adorable

60 gallon will be great for life and they are tad shy not as big baskers as sliders.

Is she eating the veggies?

They are more carnivorous than not. Turtle pellets is great.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

She is basking almost every time I see her. Yes she loves cucumber, and I feed her blood worms and my cichlid pellets which have d3 in them. Getting romaine lettuce today to add to the variance. I'm just so happy we were able to keep her and house her properly she seems so much happier in there too. I'll post a picture tonight.

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Old 04-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #10
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
She is basking almost every time I see her. Yes she loves cucumber, and I feed her blood worms and my cichlid pellets which have d3 in them. Getting romaine lettuce today to add to the variance. I'm just so happy we were able to keep her and house her properly she seems so much happier in there too. I'll post a picture tonight.

Go figure. My friend has a few in her pond and very shy plus they rarely touch her floating plants .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.