The Planted Tank Forum banner

Squirrel skeleton in tank pics!!!

9K views 34 replies 22 participants last post by  jester56 
#1 · (Edited)
Okay, I fibbed. It's not in the tank yet, but I do have some pics. I apologize for the lousy quality, and will say that the cardboard is so you can't see my embarrassingly messy room. I can't really figure out how to do this, so you'll have to copy/paste these codes into your web browser to see the pics.

I just coated the bones in epoxy, so now they're hanging up to dry. Yes, I have epoxy-covered squirrel bones hanging from a string in my room. Yes, this is normal around here.

This is the skull, with a runny nose from the epoxy:)

As promised, two pics of the cow vertebrae in the tank.

See less See more
#2 ·
Those are locations on your computer, Betta. We can't see them. Go to the Image Hosting button on the main forum page toolbar. It is pretty much easy to upload your pics there. Then copy the address from the photo that is in the box. Come to your post and, using the Go Advanced button, click the IMG button and paste the address into the box. Save your post and you should get the image. Thats about as simole as I get it. Try it a few times until you get it right. We're all waiting! LOL!

#4 ·
Oh, alright, I'll go upload the images, sorry... I couldn't work it out before.
You're most welcome! Lol, this has to be the only house in America where fishing line, superglue, squirrel bones, and epoxy can be found in an aquarium project, or any kind of project!

#6 ·
Wow. You are just like me, as I was 30 years ago! Once a friend & I found a freshly dead cormorant on the beach and we took it back to her place & dissected it on her kitchen floor to see why it died! lol (On plastic trash bags covered with newspaper = easy cleanup). btw, it choked on a snapper blue stuck in it's throat.

Some folks don't get it, but i think it's cool - can't wait to hear more! :hihi:

#7 ·
If that was me, I would have taken it home, maybe poked around with it a little, then buried it for the bones! I really want a waterbird skeleton. I got a dissection kit for Christmas and grinned my face off for an hour! Scared my cousin with the way I was laughing... Does anyone happen to live in Central Texas and know where I can get some bones?
I'm just waiting for the epoxy to cure (few more days, probably) and then I can get it in the tank.
I found out that sometimes heavy, toxic gases will seep from the ground in a place with a lot of volcanic activity, and anything that walks into a valley filled with these gases will go to sleep and never wake up. So technically, it's not unheard of for a number of mostly intact animal skeletons to be in one place... If anyone asks, that's my excuse for putting bones in my tank. That, and it's unique!

#11 ·
@KyGylal, I've never found a grocery store chicken that has the skeleton intact.
Darkblade48, sorry about that, the picture is being sort of picky. You can see the skull pretty well in the top picture...
@sapphoqueen, that's one way to give your pet a burial at sea! I personally wouldn't use bones from a pet cat, it just feels kind of odd, but that's just my two cents.
I'm going to a fish store later today that usually has some large fish, and they just got a shipment in recently. They usually have one or two fish arrive in not-so-good shape, so I may get a fish skeleton...

#13 ·
Gah, so sorry I didn't post on this before! Actually, I am from Central Texas...
So, here are the pictures, finally! For size reference, the gourami is about 2 1/2" long. I apologise for the bad quality, these are cell phone pics.

#24 ·
@longgonedaddy, you can tell your wife that the squirrel died of natural causes, I just picked it up later.
Thanks everyone! I was considering putting a horse skull in my tank, but decided against it because it would probably alter the water chemestry too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.