The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone in the Miami / Ft Lauderdale area?

7K views 67 replies 21 participants last post by  jerrybforl 
#1 · (Edited)
Thought there would be more hobbyists in the region, but this state's forum is pretty dead :)

Brickell area here.

#5 ·
I'm in the South Miami area. I also thought that there would be more local groups because of how active the aquarium trade is here but sadly its not.

There is this:http://www.floridaaquaticplantsociety.org but its not very active. You can also visit Gold Coast Aquarium Society. There are a few guys that go there that are into plants and they always have plants in their auctions, but its a bit far of a drive for me, and I haven't been very active in the hobby lately.

#8 ·
I am not sure if it is the state or just that people that are into this are simply not on this forum or forums in general. Seems like everyone I meet is into salt water and those that are into fresh water do not take it to this level.

#12 ·
HAHAHAHA!! That made me lol!!
:D

I am in Fort Lauderdale! I have smaller tanks and stuff but I would be interested in meeting up for some trades and stuff!!
In a tiny apartment so all I have are nanotanks and microfish/inverts. Once the fauna starts breeding I'll have a couple things to trade/RAOK. Think my platies are about to give birth again.

#11 ·
Since a few of us are here now - what local places do you guys like? I'm in Oakland Park to be exact AND a new little freshwater place just opened up! Its called 'The Planted Tank', its a small place on Dixie highway, owned by a husband/wife - they are super nice and helpful. Carry a great selection of plants and freshwater fishes... As of right now they don't have anything saltwater and I am excited about that. it's my new favorite place!! None of my friends are interested in this hobby which is hard. Its nice to know there's some locals around!

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

#16 ·
Its actually 'The Planted Aquarium Store' - my mistake. Lol
I've gotten all of my plants from them and everything is healthy! No algae or nuisance snails either. They have been super helpful too!

The tropical fish farm is awesome! Too far to visit on a regular basis but I definitely plan on getting
My next goldie there.

I've never heard of floridaaquatic.com. Will have to Google it. Lol

#18 ·
I've gotten a few from here too. All healthy and growing good. Everyone has been super nice!
My 10g is my biggest planted tank, except for the goldies, and its a crazy mess. I browse around here and see all the tanks ~ they have a theme, or at least a plan on the placement of the plants, dw, funky rocks.. ~ And I'm jealous! I currently hate mine... I also have 2 small Betta tanks that I'm unhappy with. But currently am strapped for cash so I can't replace my substrate (which is giving me mad problems!) or get some cool rocks or driftwood so... I feel like I'm kinda stuck right now.

#21 ·
Hum I have no idea, I've been getting overpriced black sand from Petco/smart, thinking I only need a bit for my little tanks (ended up buying maybe 4-5 bags+).

Ask someone :D it's just called play sand, I think they fill kids' sand boxes with them. Also I didn't use organic dirt in my tanks, used whatever I had around. You just have to let it settle for about a month before adding fauna, else you get ammonia/nitrite spikes from the soil leeching into the water, even with a fine cap in place.

I think people use organic because there's fewer wood chips and no perilite in them (no big chucks that end up floating in the water). I think it was $9-10 for a huge bag. Recommend using 1" of soil and 1-2" of gravel and sand cap (I do a mix, since the gravel help hold plants in place, and sand the finer particles of dirt).

What substrate do you have now? I don't think there is a need to replace it, just insert some oscomote root tabs? Walmart has them in the garden section pretty cheap. A few people (somewhatshocked, h4n) sell them here on the forums too.

#25 ·
hey i live in west kendall here and glad to see some ppl here into the hobby cause like alot of you guys and girls said everyone is into saltwater or there isnt alot of ppl into the hobby.

I live close to neighborhood fish farm and love it they have alot of fish/plants all of the time and they send out an email when they get new stock. A+++ place to go.

I almost went to the planted aquarium store for the first time two weeks ago because i will be doing a 75g or 125g discus tank in a year or so and wanted to try out this really good substrate, "Mr. Aqua's Up Aqua" for my 10g since I was redoing it then I would have an idea of how it work and if its good for the money to put in my discus tank later on. you can see the redo of my 10g here http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/167145-re-did-10g-came-out-amazing.html
The Up Aqua soil doesnt have ammonia/nitrite spikes and it doesnt break down like ADA soil but is still up there in price ($40 for a 20lbs bag). Also being they are the only store to carry that soil i might as well make a trip and check out the store. It was like a 50 min drive but well worth it!!! I spent like 40 mins in there looking around and talking to the owner. She was very nice and helpful, its the only planted aquarium store in SW Florida period lol

Another good store is http://www.exoticaquariums.com/ they have alot of freshwater fish and some plants as well.

I also have an 18g community tank and a Fluval Ebi tank which i will be putting Crystal red shrimp in later on. Dont really have plants to trade right now even tho all my tanks are planted but i do have taiwan fire shrimp that in a month or more i would need to get raid of and rather trade/sale here locally then dealing with shipping.

Charms if you can spare $25 you cant get eco complete which is great for planted aquariums or get Miracle Grow Organic potting soil like others said but its just mess which isnt a big deal

here is a pic of my betta
Plant Green Botany Terrestrial plant Fish

Fin Fish Feather Marine biology Stairs

#26 ·
Dude!! That crowntail is gorgeous!!

I finally stopped debating, changed the substrate and replanted everything!! I used the recommended miracle grow and capped w/ the tms. Looks so pretty! My frogbit isn't growing in any of my tanks tho so I've gotta figure that out. Its been... 8 days and nothing is growing yet... I'm definitely NOT impatient either..

I wish I lived closer to the Tropical Fish Farm - at least I could go look often!! ;-)

#27 ·
Oh trust me it will grow in dirt. I have a 20L that is overgrown into a jungle. You have to be careful about your stock though. I have a couple of trapdoor snails that like to burrow and make a huuuge mess of things and a pleco that is a digger. It's definitely not for the faint of heart and it won't ever look pristine again for me. Plants love it though.

#28 ·
Kendall, checking in!

There is a definite lack of freshwater stuff around here. Trying to hunt down some Laetacara curviceps has been almost impossible, I'm stalking aquabid for them now-- none of the local stores can even order them in! Pretty much the only place I go is the Tropical Fish Farm, these days. I'm there waaaaay too often as it is, though.

#29 ·
thanks i paid alot for him but i always wanted a betta that i have never seen before!

just give it some time and you will see. remember it takes time for everything to get used to the change because the plants were used to some thing different before.

funny you say that damselfish cause i feel the same way!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.