The Planted Tank Forum banner

n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal - New Update 4-7-2013

43K views 348 replies 48 participants last post by  jerrytheplater 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone,

This is my first journal. Just rescaped today so I figured, I will start a journal to document the growth and development of the tank. I love low maintenance tanks because I do not have time to manicure and rescape every week.

Filter: 75 Gal Sump

Light: 2x 80 Watts T5, Finnex Rays 2 LED for 8 hours

Water Change: It is hooked up to my automatic water change system so it gets 8% water change per day.

Fert: Modified IE through my auto dosing system.

CO2 : Pressurized CO2 system, it goes on 1 hrs before the light is on and off 30 minutes before the light goes off.

Substrate: ECO Complete mixed ADA Aquasoil Amazonian

Fish: Few Ginga Rubra guppies, few cardina tetra, a few otos (started with 30 of them), a couple of cories.

Plants Updated 1-18-2013:
  • C. Uenoi
  • C. Keei 'Jambusan'
  • C. Keei 'Bau'
  • C. Nurii 'Rompin'
  • C. Bullosa 'Pakan'
  • C. Bullosa 'Sarakei'
  • C. Bullosa 'Bario'
  • C. Nurii Pahang Mutated
  • C. Kota Tingii
  • C. Auriculata Betong
  • C. Auriculata 'Tiger Stripe' Pakan
  • C. Cordata KR01
  • C. Hudoroi
  • C. zukalii
  • C. sp Bukit Ibam "Yellow Ring"
  • C. Cordata 'Rosanervig' with veins
  • C. Minima 'Gasser'
  • C. sp rompin
  • C. aponogetifolia
  • C. Affinis 'Red'
  • C. Purpurea
  • C. Ideii
  • Alternanthera sp. 'variegated'
  • Jumbo Trident Java Fern,
  • Taiwan Moss
  • Fissiden
  • Microsorum pteropus sp. 'red'

See less See more
#293 ·
My macro solution that was mixed two weeks ago precipitated due over saturation as discussed in the following thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2676418#post2676418

Lesson learned... don't mixed the macro fert with GH in the same container!

I placed an order for Crypt Flamingo yesterday... Now I'm anxiously waiting for it to come. It will be in a gel culture. So it will be exciting and challenging to try to convert it over. I tried it about one year ago and failed. Hopefully with more experience and time, I will dip my feet into it again! I might have a few specimens extra... if anyone interested, please PM me.

#294 ·
My macro solution that was mixed two weeks ago precipitated due over saturation as discussed in the following thread:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2676418#post2676418

Lesson learned... don't mixed the macro fert with GH in the same container!
I redid my macro fert last night. As I emptied out the fert container, everything was caked and precipitated. It was a hot mess. Definitely, the solution had reached super saturation. I had a layer of Ca at the bottom and Mg on top of the Ca.

I ordered another peristaltic pump from APT for the GH. Now I have three reservoirs for macro, micro, and GH. Hopefully, this will work better. Last time, I had a macro solution without the GH, it was fine. Nothing precipitated in there.

With the increased in PAR, I'm having some hair algae. I tried to increase my co2 but I don't think I have it dialed in yet. I have been increasing the co2 for the past week or so. I have seen the reduced in the hair algae but some are still growing. I will try to get it dialed in within the next week or so.

#304 ·
Finally... all the crypts have recovered enough for me to rescape. When I pulled all the crypts to rescape, I got lots of babies. So I ended up with more crypts then I thought I had. With that, I was running out of space to replant all of them. But I managed to fit them all in.

Here are a few plants of the space. Sorry the water was still cloudy from the rescape.

FTS:

Left side:

Center:

Right side:

#305 ·
Wow that is a really neat collection. What water parameters are you keeping in order for all of the plants to be happy and grow? I tried a couple of wendtii...they slowly died off. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I did dose root tabs.
Are you dosing ferts in the water column?

#307 ·
Re: n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal New Update 3-24-2013 - Rescaped!

Ok neat :) its an interesting idea to have
a collection of crypts or any plant for that matter. I cant wait to see what the tank evolves into next. :)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

#309 ·
Ok neat :) its an interesting idea to have
a collection of crypts or any plant for that matter. I cant wait to see what the tank evolves into next. :)
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

I really can't wait until this scape fill in and mature!

I call dibs next time you have to thin some plants out!

I've just started getting.into the more exotic crypts. Your selection kinda gives me a lil chub chub. Lol

Have you ever thought about getting Usteriana?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Sure, I can let you know when I'm thining out the tank. The crypt bug can be very expensive!

I have had Usteriana before, just not a big fan fan. I like crypt aponogetfolia better.

#308 ·
Re: n00dl3's 180G Rare Crypts Collectoritis Journal New Update 3-24-2013 - Rescaped!

I call dibs next time you have to thin some plants out!

I've just started getting.into the more exotic crypts. Your selection kinda gives me a lil chub chub. Lol

Have you ever thought about getting Usteriana?

#313 ·
Usteriana was the only large species i was able to get my hands on. Why didn't you like it?

They get giantnormous and shade out everything in my tank. Extremely beautiful plant though. I want plants/crypts that are more controllable. I'm extremely busy and don't always have time to trim and rescape every weekend.

#321 ·
Here is the plants before they were shipped. Full of color and look extremely healthy:

Here is after 1.5 weeks in transit. Very pale and lack of color for being in the dark.:

Planted submerged with full co2, high light, EI dosing, about PAR 100

Planted emersed in used aquasoil (left) and new aquasoil (right). I will be targeting 90% to 95% humidity and PAR 85:

Planted emersed in aquasoil with 80% humidity, in three different setups, and PAR 60:

#325 ·
Congrats on the Flamingos!
You have a great Crypt collection. I'll be anxiously watching your updates.
Thanks! I will be anxious myself to try to keep them alive and thriving!

How much did all those cost you?

1.5 weeks shipping? Thailand?
Honestly, it doesn't cost that much compared to what I've in for this tank. From price per unit, it is actually cheaper than most of my crypts in the tank.

No, it was coming from Europe. It got stuck in custom a few days longer than it should've. But I got it though. I have been chasing down this crypt for over 1.5+ years. So I'm happy as it is not a complete mush!

You sure like to reboot lol :)
LOL... I haven't found a happy point for this tank yet. I have always like to try different things. It keeps me going in this hobby.

#323 ·

How much did all those cost you?

1.5 weeks shipping? Thailand?

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress
55 gal Paludarium/Vivarium coming soon

#328 ·

Where did you end up finding it? Care to share any crypt sources?

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress

#330 ·

Indeed, but it is lovely. Does it grow to the size of a wendtti?

I am Rowdaddy.
SC Aquaria

75 Community
20H Community
20L Convict "Bedroom"
20L Growout
10gal RCS
1.5gal in progress

#332 ·
It has been two weeks since my rescaped. I had a big time melt in the tank where I lost quite a few baby crypts. The adult crypts also experienced melting but not as bad. The melting has stopped and crypts are getting new growth.

I might have lost both of my Auriculata sp which I’m extremely disappointed. I hope they will both come back. I have not dug them up to see if the crown is still good. Most likely, I will just wait to see if they do come back.

I changed out the spray bars to nozzles because I didn’t like how the flow was. I was getting algae on the ground and other areas where the spray can’t get to. With the nozzles, it will give me a little more flexibility to control the flow.

I have had the Flamingo for two weeks now. I’m getting mixed result on the survivability. From my observation, the ones that came in good condition are surviving and growing new leaves. While the ones that came in not so good to bad condition has melted. I have a few specimens surviving and growing new leaves in both submerged and emersed form.

Here are some pictures:

FTS:

Center:

Left:

Right:

Submerged Flamingo:

Emersed Flamingo:

Emersed New AS vs Used

New plant I want to try to grow emersed: Elatine Hydropiper

#334 ·
damn that c. cordata looks good.

i see you got some of franks hydropiper. i just planted mine, i have high hopes. good luck with yours.
I always love how c. cordata look :proud:

Yes, I ordered some Frank to see if I can grow them. They came in really good condition so the chances are good to convert them. Good luck with yours too!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.