The Planted Tank Forum banner

The whole Ph / gH / kH thing....

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  nazspeed 
#1 ·
The whole Ph / gH / kH thing.... is really making my head hurt.

Ok. Here's where it started, I decided to breed shrimp. I bought some RCS and BCS, put 'em in a tank with some other shrimps and low and behold, they started dying off....

2 weeks later, no shrimp, no $125.

My water params out of the tap at that time were:
pH 8.2
gH 3
kH 7

Tank of death for RCS. Bought a 5 stage RO Unit. Now producing water at:
pH 6.4
gH 1
kH 1
TDS - 0

The optimal breeding rate for RCS and the associated crystals needs a kH of 1-2.

How in the heck do you maintain pH with a kH that low. Doesn't really matter what gH is. (I am supplementing my RO reservoir with a gH increaser that doesn't affect kH to a level of 3-4).

Are the weekly water changes of 20% enough? Is adding nothing foreign to the water enough? Is sitting there watching day after day, hour after hours, testing away with the Freshwater Master Kit enough? (API has sent me a letter thanking me for their profits).

I know what you are thinking.... CO2. Some people say that CO2 and crystals are bad. Really.... do I want to add yet another variable? NO!

Please help! Your thoughts are welcome. Bob

p.s. I am running 16 - 10 gals, sponge filtration, various subs, nice plants, yada yada yada

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm guessing you are referring to CRS & CBS (Crystal red and black shrimps) and not RCS (Red Cherry Shrimps)

This is what I do to keep a healthy and breeding colony of CRS/CBS.

For me Aquasoil and R/O water is not an option due the fact that my local water is crap. Almost same readings as yours but the readings don't necessarily mean that your water is crap. What makes my water crap is my pipes and the local water.

I use pure R/O water and none of the hallf and half cause once again my water is crap! The readings for the R/O are:

PH 6.8
GH 0
KH 0
TDS 5-9

The local place I buy needs to change thier filter I think cause the readings a year ago were:

PH 6.4
GH 0
KH 0
TDS 0

My water maintains the 6.8 PH cause of the aquasoil and I raise the GH to 7-8 with mosura mineral plus. 6ml per one gallon of R/O water. I used to use Shirakura Ca+ but, which I prefer but its to expensive for me at the moment. I used to add 30 drops per one gallon of water for a GH reading of 6-8.

I know there will be many who will say that aquasoil is not needed but in my case it is cause it makes everything alot easier. Aquasoil expensive? YES! but not as expensive as all the corners I cut in my last 3 failed attempt at keeping CRS/CBS. Now on my fourth run and a year later no problems and lots of happy breeding CRS/CBS :proud: Your water changes are fine at 20% some will say 10% either way its fine. I resisted using aquasoil (amazonia 1 by the way) cause of the cost. If I had only done it the "right" way (some will argue) I would not have waisted approx. $300 on three failed attempt. Some folks are just lucky to have the right water condition coming out of thier tap or access to well water that has the right parameters.

During water changes I add the needed amount of Mosura or Shirakura liquid to a gallon of water to get the GH right. I don't add anything when I top off, just pure R/O water.

For keeping Crystals you just need to focus on your PH and GH. A KH of 0-1 is fine for breeding them. Some people have had success in breeding Crystals in a PH of 7.2 - 7.4. I was able to breed them in that water before but very few ever made it past an 1/8". This is what works for me... I hope this helps some.

#3 ·
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions! I'll be keeping a close eye on my pH and gH. Every morning I test my RO reservoir and bring it up to a gH of 3-4, make sure kH is low, check temp and pH.

I am considering taking off the 2 DI/Silicabuster units and running RO only. Any thoughts on that?

#4 ·
Too many changes to water parameters will always lead to stress = death.

K.I.S.S -> Keep It Simple for the Shrimps.

When acclimating new shrimps... always always use the drip method this ensures slow acclimation to your current water parameter and prevents shock.

Prior to purchasing shrimps.... try to replicate water parameters of the tank they are coming from. Ensure that it has properly CYCLED before adding shrimps

#5 ·
No problem I hope it helps. Not sure on the DI/Silicabuster but keeping a stable water parameter for crystals is the most important thing. Also temp is a big factor.... they don't like being in temps higher the 75F. Any higher then that and they start to lose color and become lazy. Higher temps will result in death eventually.

It is recommended to have a GH of 5+ in order for shrimps to be able to have a good molt. Any lower could result in molt issues and death.

#6 ·
pH for RO water is very misleading. You really don't have enough ions to get a good number and it has no buffer at all so it won't be stable.

#9 ·
Water Testing Methodology....

Please read this all before you cringe....

I use test strips on a daily basis. That being said, I also use the API Master Test Kit. The reason I use test strips is once you establish the relationship/consistency/inconsistency, you can set general guidelines.

How many times have we all heard, it doesn't matter how you do it, just be consistent.

I use test strips because I have a total of 20 tanks. I use them as a spot check. If there is anything that looks out of whack by the results, or the water color or anything changes, I do more accurate testing.

The water pre-RO, comes from my tap. The RO is set-up with a flow control valve and generates 90 GPD.

Thanks All!

#10 ·
RO water has no minerals i would'nt bother. Make sure your tap water is collected COLD ONLY and LET IT RUN for a minute or two overdose declorinator by a few drops and let it sit for at least an hour (temp stable) or more before adding to you tank make sure you use a new bucket for this (home depot 2 bucks 3 with a lid) works well and when not in use cover the bucket with the lid so no contaminants enter your tanks. My big problem was Copper in the pipes so i started doing the above and TADA SHRIMP NIRVANA!!! also check you food i use Hikari algea wafers evreynow and then and hikari shrimp cuisine as there main staple. Checking parameters every day is unnesesary as long as the tank is cycled. AND use glass covers on all your tanks so no nasty stuff gets in there. ENJOY!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.