The Planted Tank Forum banner

An introduction to my fishroom-new pics again-video added!

13K views 121 replies 37 participants last post by  msjinkzd 
#1 ·
I couldn't remember if I ever posted up about my fish room so figured I would. Earlier this summer, I had considered building a fish building on my property, but with the economy as unstable as it is, i have decided to revamp my fishroom instead. These pictures will serve as my "before" shots and I will update it as I work on it further.

Here is the "main" wall of tanks. Its mostly 75s on the bottom, 55s in the middle, and 20 longs on top wiht a few random extra tanks thrown in for good measure. You can also sort of see my rack of 20 longs and the 230g.

Here is the view of where I do my shipping (long black lab counter on the left) and another set of my original racks on the right.

The view facing out from near the shipping station:

This half of hte room needs to be redone desperately. I am going to be adding two more rows of racks.

I am also going to redo all my airline. Right now, I just have draining ports (the pvc visible at the bottom of the room) in half the room as well. That will be finished to have a port for draining tanks at every rack. I also may seal the floor though that is not a priority. As you can also see, I have some "creative" lighting. Eventually I will have tidier lights as well, lol. Regardless, its a decent space that just needs to be tidied up to look better.

I use a central air pump to power the filters. All the lights are on a central timer. I have both light boxes (outlets) and power outlets every 4' in the fishroom at the ceiling line.

We use a UV and sediment filter on our water as it comes into the house as well.

Hope you enjoy our little peek into my chaos!

See less See more
#115 ·
as someone who has never really used sponge filters ive been skeptical that they can keep a tank clean like a canister does--it would be a lot cheaper for my planned 25 tank fish room if i went with the sponge filters and air pump vs canisters---wht size tank do you recommend going to a canister or wet/dry vs the sponge filters? Do you think a 50 or 60 gallon tank would do well with a couple of sponge filters? Do you use power heads for additional water movement? I would assume my 120 and 180 g tanks would definitely fall in the 'need more than a sponge' category--im planning fx5s for those.

#116 ·
I guess it depends really on what the tank decor is like. Sponges are more than adequate for me, as I dont' have much decor or substrate in the majority of my tanks. I only use powerheads for hillstream/high oxygen species. I use sponges (2 per tank) in tanks up to 75g.

and as for commentary, my husband nicely took that vid with his iphone for me, lol. It would be an hour long if I stated species in each tank!

#118 ·
WOW, I am envious of that crazy fish room! that is the most extreme fish room I have ever seen in my life! those are some great new additions in your tank, wish I had enough room for something like that!

oh and BTW, gota say love the mowhawk! reminds me of Brody Armstrong from The Distillers! which was one of the best shows I have ever been to haha!

Keep up the great work, though I would like to see some up close pix of some of those tanks..

#121 ·
Awesome fishroom! Are you using a regenerative blower for the air? If so, how many HP? And how is the noise?

*sigh* I want a house so I can have a fish room like that, already convinced my wife too. I will definitely be hitting you up for some fish orders when I do. I have a long list of stuff and you seem to always have a good chunk of it in stock that I can't find local.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.