The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nazspeed's new 36 bowfront

2K views 10 replies 2 participants last post by  nazspeed 
#1 ·
Well here it is my new home and guess what the just happened to be in my new living room and they dont sell at furniture stores.... you guessed it a spanking new 36 bowfront and a 46 gallon stand... you might ask why but for a 100 bucks you cant beat the petco stand!!! plus its added protection from my 4 year old who likes riding his bike in the new living room! This is my first stab at a journal so if you guys want me to add something please let me know and i will try to be as informative as i can which is the least i can do after all i've learned from this site this is my humble way of helping out others that may face similar trajectories.

between all this i also have to move my livestock and plants from one state to another So i have different water parameters. I have a 30 gallon long but just cant resist the bowfront.

First fill tank with fresh water and rinse about ten times just to play it safe. Add Declorinator (tetra aquasafe is my prefence) test for ph......Wait.....:eek: big problem the ph out of my tap is 7.8 it used to be 7.0 in new york city buy now in fort lee NJ its 7.8 and smells alot like chlorine add that to the fact that im gonna stick all my fish in a 5 gallon home depot bucket for the ride and my ph in the curent setup is around 6.7 this will likely kill my livestock so now i need to figure out how to balance it all.

Problem one cloudiness, florite black sand needs tom be rinsed i mean rinsed really well even after a good though rinsing this is what i got

Kitchen appliance Home appliance Analog television Water Cylinder

Problem Two. Ran some tests and ammonia is at 1 ppm and ph is still 7.8 added seachem ph regulator to try and bring it down let see what happens in the Morning hopefully it will clear and the ammonina goes down and that was from my tap water. What the hell do they add to it??? anyone in the area want to chime in?

See less See more
#2 ·
water change

Could'nt stand the milky water did a 90% water change will post a pic later on today. Im going to petco to get some api ammo lock to help with the ammonia and the ph should even out if i use some of my old tank water from ny when i bring the fish over later on tonight wish me luck!!!
BTW tank looks way clearer but still cloudy maybe my old filter media will help. No other accesoires in use yet.........

#3 ·
Ta Da!

Well here's the aftermath.... No fish were harmed during the imaging of these pictures...and absolutely all survived the trip. The ph level and the ammolock must of did the trick, used about 5 gallons of water from my old tank but the ph was 6.5 and slowly aclimated them in the bucket by adding water from the new tank and mixing. Now ph is about 7.4 and steady added all plants and decorations ect.... from old tank without washing (get as much bio as possible). Equipment :
filters: Aquaclear 50 h.o.b, Dual Sponge, hagen elite mini for co2 reactor,filtering and water circulation
Air pump: tetra 100 gallon
lighting: 2 screw on 60w cfls will be 4 soon (daylight)
heater:stealth 100w i believe
Substrate: Florite black sand
Flora and fauna: to be continued.....
Co2:exel for now and dyi co2 tomorow combined
additives:exel flourish, tetra aquasafe, api ammolock, api ph Down, seachem neutral regulator

Heres the promised picture! please ignore the fake background! i was in a rush!any questions are welcomed

#4 · (Edited)
Things have realy cleared up today and all the fish are happy the only fish that may have a problem is the german blue ram but showing no signs of stress uder the higher Ph. As for plants I want ground cover carpet in the front but I'm open to suggestions as far as aquascaping I have a lot to work on so bring on the suggestions ...thanks

#6 ·
I now have a major hair algae issue but who does going to look for true sae's becaues they will eat what my ottos or shrimp won't! Maybe I need to dose more ferts since I'm on dyi co2 exel and flourish only any opnions I don't think my lights are too strong .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.