The Planted Tank Forum banner

Flourite Questions

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  Buck 
#1 ·
I am looking to put flourite in my new tank. Could anyone tell me how many bags I'd need to fill a 75 gallon? It's an all-glass aquarium with the dimensions 48x18x18.

Also, is there any difference besides color between Flourite and Flourite Red?

Last Question: Due to the expense of this stuff, I may consider mixing it with gravel. I was looking at plants over at AquaHobby and some of the plants I'm interested in require a "rich substrate." Would mixing be bad for those root plants?

When you mix, do you usually just use layers or do you actually mix the two together?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions. :D

#2 ·
Seachem recomends 1kg for 31sqaure inches of tank bottom. I just put 15kg (32lbs) in my 30gal (36"x12"), I think I would have like one more bag in there though.. just for good meausure. You'd need like 4 bags or so. Whew.. that'd be pricey. As for mixing it I think you just mix it up together.. no more than 50/50. I read some where that Estes 'Bits of Walnut' looks good with regular flourite. Oh yeah.. wash this stuff real good.

#3 ·
I'd only need four? :shock:
I was thinking at least seven since the instructions say 1 bag is good for 10 gallons.

Yeah, it's really pricey but I found someplace online that sells bags for $14 and only $4 extra shipping per bag.

The local fish place near me is selling bags for $40 each. :x

#4 ·
Yeah. 48 x 18 = 864sq. in. / 31 = 27.8kg there is 7kg in a bag so 4 bags. That's a minimum. it'll only give you like 2inch depth.. maybe only 1.75". BigAlsOnline has them for 11.00 a bag. 4.50 extra per bag for shipping (I just ordered 2 bags). Good deal, good service.. I got mine within 5 days (ordered it on a friday).

#7 ·
I calculated it correctly and, you're right, I need just under four bags.
I'm glad I asked before I bought way too much.

2" should be enough but maybe I'll buy five bags just in case.
I don't know if one more will make much of a difference, though.

I will be ordering from BigAls, I think. The shipping is $6-$7 per bag to my area. It's not that unreasonable.

Does anyone have any pictures of Flourite Red in their tanks? The only difference is the color, right?
I'm not sure which I want to get.

#10 ·
I used a mixture in ratio of 3:1, Flourite : Plain washed gravel. I kept a 3/4 to 1" layer of RED flourite on the bottom then mixed the rest of the substrate. The "red" of the flourite with the tans of the gravel looks very natural. Red flourite, actually is about the classic color of brick. I, personally, think that black is not natural or as estheticaly pleasing.

#11 ·
IMO some of you guys are making this too complicated, but since the hobby is all about personal enjoyment, do whatever works for you. I simply recommend 100% Flourite. It looks uniform (no gravel here and there), it's easy, and it's good for the plants. End of story. 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.