The Planted Tank Forum banner

Found plants, aquatic or not?

570 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  StUk_In_AfRiKa 
#1 ·
I found these 2 types of plants and I'm not sure if they're aquatic or not. They were both growing on the banks but the sand there was very wet. I don't know if these are terrestrial (marsh?) plants that grow on the banks or if they're aquatic plants that were exposed when the water level dropped.

I guess this one looks kind of like Japanese Rush but I've never seen it in real life before so I don't really know. Plus this stuff is indigenous to South Africa so that's probably not it. It seems to grow pretty tall (over 30cm)

The 2nd plant is pretty short (under 20cm) and sprouts leaves at different places on the rhizome.

See less See more
#2 ·
I coudnt tell you one way or the other but I can say this about plant collecting from experience...

Try it, the worst it can do is fail and you remove it. Just be sure that it is clean of any eggs or larvae. I have had a few work but more fail over the years but its always fun trying. The top plant I will bet is a fail , I have tried several varieties of locals here that are similar , are the leaves/needles stiff ?
However , the bottom one looks interesting and worth a shot. Its got a large rhyzome with hair roots...thats promising. :wink:

#3 ·
Plant 2 i'm almost 100% sure it not aquatic. I have been doing lots of reading on vivariums/paludariums for poison dart frogs and I have seem them using plants similar to that one. They don't even submerge the roots, they just drill a hole in the wood for it and stick it in.

#5 ·
I found the plants on the banks of a really fast flowing river but some of plant 2 were also growing submersed where the water was a bit calmer. Plant one was growing in little pools but was mostly dried out so I thought it might be aquatic. The needles are slightly stiff and at the bottom they're surrounded by a thin "leaf" that wraps all the way around the stalk.

I bleach dipped all the plants today and the grassy one seems fine after a 3 min dip. The other one is going to lose it's leaves though but hopefully they'll grow back. My dad set up a small tank using river rocks and river water so we'll see how they do there. I just have to remind him to get a light :?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.