The Planted Tank Forum banner

Angelfish

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  tierkrib 
#1 ·
I've been thinking a lot about this, and I've always loved angelfish. I have a 29 gallon well planted, and I think I want to make this a species tank. 29 gallons are fairly tall, which I know is an advantage to angel-keeping.

If I do decide to go this route, I would put the existing population of tetras in my soon to be renovated (but well-established) 10 gallon, making room for an angel-only tank. Are there going to be any big problems with this?

I'm thinking along the lines of six angels or so (preferably all in pairs as that should decrease aggresiveness, shouldn't it)? I like marble-veil angles, and might go that route, but I'm still open.

Either way, I'm probably going to go with all of one species. My question is will I have many problems with this? If I get them small so they "grow up" together, am I correct in assuming I won't have issues with aggression? (Generally speaking of course -- I know about the occasion bullies). Again, it's a well planted tank, so there should be ample hiding places and that sort of thing.

I'd just like some opinions. :)

#2 ·
Angels are great fish... For a 29G tank I would stick too two pairs or better yet 1 pair and leave your Tetras in the tank. The general rule is 1 Angel per 10 gallons. I feel if you stick 6 pairs in a 29G tank you will have a lot of aggresion amoung the fish even with a well planted tank.

#3 ·
IMO 6 angels is way too many in a 29 gallon. I have two in my 36"x16" high tank with a dozen or so bloodfin tetras and your usual cleanup crew. The most aggressive fish in the tank is the SAE.. like to taste of fins I think. The angels seem alright. Anyways, I would only go for a single pair myself.

#4 ·
If you are interested in getting a "mated pair" then you can start with 4-5 small ones and as time goes by you will be down to 2 only in a 29... :icon_redf
I have 3 in my 75 gallon and on some days that is too small for 3 adults ! 2 are a mating pair... However the only way to get a mating pair is to start with a bunch and watch them, but do plan on parting ways with all but 2 for that tank in the near future :wink:

They can be nasty if "crowded" ...

#5 ·
I have 55g with a one mated pair. The tank is to small for then, I cannot have any other angel there.

I would go with only one pair, but you could start with more angels and remove the other once you have a pair. Not even considering the aggressiveness 6 adult angels would easily overstock a 29 gallon.

#6 ·
Alright, I think I'm up for one pair then. :) Would they be okay with a few gouramis (dwarf, I think is what I'm going to go with)? And then a school of tetras?

I'll be satisfied with this population if you don't forsee any problems with it. :)

#7 ·
You will have to add the dwarf gouramis when the angels are still young. When they are older and they pair up, they generally do nor accept any fish other than tetras.

#8 ·
Nice choice there. Used to have two pairs on opposite sides of a 29-gallon. Started out with 6 of them and ended up with two pairs (the other two stragglers were traded back to the LFS). The aggression was simply out of hand (kind of like housing a pair of perculas with a carpet anemone and a pair of skunks with a rose anemone). I eventually had to separate them since I couldn't get any frys out of either pair and it worked out for the better :icon_bigg .

#10 ·
No, you don’t. I have an angelfish alone in a tank and it is doing great and it is not aggressive at all. They only get aggressive when they pair up and spawn.

#11 ·
smif... I keep a single Angel fish with Rummy nose tetras, molly, otto's, SAE's with no problems. The Angel on occasion will chase the Molly but no harm done.

mpb... I have to disagree with your statement, they can be aggressive when keep alone also. A lot depends on the temperment of the Angel fish and the fish that is being keep with the Angel.

#12 ·
I currently have 2 pairs of gold marble veil tails in my 55 gallon. They do chase each other from time to time, but nothing serious. They are between 10 and 12cm from top to bottom. With them I have 3 pearl gouramies and 1 blue ram. The two pairs have set up their areas on seperate ends of the tank. The tank is peat filtered ,so that might also help (limited visibility).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.