The Planted Tank Forum banner

The official Orchid thread!

19K views 135 replies 35 participants last post by  orchidman 
#1 ·
Alright, so I know some of you are really into orchids and I am getting into them! Right now I only have two orchids (Phalaenopis sp. hybrids), but I would like to get more! I don't if I can label this "official", but I am anyway :biggrin:

I just got a new one today from Home Depot, I am going to try and figure out the specie hybrid later.

Lots of pictures of one plant I know, but I was just messing with my camera. I really want to get a DSLR now :)

See less See more
#93 ·
Beautiful! I can't wait to move. I can have as many plants as I like then :) I won't be limited by space :D

#105 ·
No variegation tho it has 'wave leaf' where the leaves are curled around like...ocean waves. Oonami seikai is just one way of romanizing it, I've seen it listed as onami seikai, ounami seikai etc. Here's the actual characters: 大波青海

Here's a better pic, pre-bloom:

#112 ·
nope! i got it as Asiatica Nursery. they were going out of business, so i drove down and picked it up. along with some chines cyms for a friend (WISH I GOT SOME!)

nice fukiran! thats interesting how you have them in the jars!

#114 ·
I only have three in bloom right now. but i have a good amount getting ready! i took LOTS of pictures, and im sure you dont care to see them, but ill post them all!

Lc. Tokyo Magic x Slc. Tangerine Imp

DSC_0105.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0104.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0103.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0102.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

closeup of each individual bloom...

DSC_0101.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0100.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0099.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0098.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0097.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0096.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0095.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0094.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

couldnt decide if i like white or black better.. so i did both:D

DSC_0034.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0035.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0036.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0037.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0038.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

#115 ·
Phalaenopsis Timothy Christopher. this thin is tiny! only had 3 blooms, but i polinated one. but the cross failed, so there are two flowers left. i paid $0.50 for this one!

DSC_0028.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0025.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0026.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

cute picotee on the leaves

DSC_0027.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0029.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0030.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0031.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0032.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0033.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0106.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0107.jpg by orchidman10, on Flickr

#116 ·
#127 ·
No and no! I paid 8$ including shipping for this plant. Although it was half it's current size, it was still large when I got it. It's unlikely they have specials like that anymore, but it's not expensive.

It grows fast for me. Likes to be moist all the time and thrives in semi hydro. It can take very high light as well mine gets medium to high light. You definitely have to try it!

#128 ·
...It grows fast for me. Likes to be moist all the time and thrives in semi hydro. It can take very high light as well mine gets medium to high light. You definitely have to try it!
I went to google and yes, I found it in the $15+ range, which fits the budget. It's at the top of my want-to-buy list.

Would you say it like it's toes wet? It looks lie yours in in Hydroton with just water at the tips of the roots?

#117 ·
My Angdi Kolopaking decided to wow me again with another bloom! boy am I WOWED!!! its nearly twice as large!! definitely getting better with age! and its only been a few month! the nature spread on the most recent bloom is an awesome 6cm!!! im so thrilled!!!

i shouldve taken the photos before i pollinated it, because it was much more flat before i put the pollen on. oh well, seems like the cross is taking though! i put pollen from Dragon tree Eagle 'DT#1' on it ( thanks Ben!!)

enjoy!

DSC_0046 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0052 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0061 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0059 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0062 by orchidman10, on Flickr

#118 ·
Here is my Neofinetia falcata 'Setsuzan' i got this two or three years ago when Asiatica was going out of business; paid $12 for it! it was kind of neglected this year and got some scale (which im keeping at bay but not decimating) so this years bloom is less than amazing. it only has three blooms, but BOY is it fragrant!! it has cool tiger stripe variegation and its awesomely fragrant in the evening and at night, and the flowers are so cute!! it really got happy when i repotted it into a fancy Fukiran pot. after the bloom is done, i will take care of the scale once and for all with some trusty Bayer 3-in-1! im thinking about selfing it and seeing if the variegation carries over into the offspring.

DSC_0016 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0075 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0074 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0029 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0066 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0080 by orchidman10, on Flickr

#119 ·
this one had two buds, but one broke off in a storm :\ luckily there is another growth that still have 2 buds maturing! as with the P. Angdi Kolopaking, i shouldve photographed this one before pollinating it, because the form is a little less then what it was pre-pollination. this one is but heavier spotted and a darker orange and red color then last year! the size and form is improved as well! the natural spread this year is 12cm!! although i had three flowers on the single spike last year, this year i only have 2 flowers (counting the knocked off bud) per spike. but i have two spikes! i pollinated it with pollen from L. Santa Barbara Sunset 'Showtime' AM/AOS.

Last year-

_DSC0127 by orchidman10, on Flickr

this year-

DSC_0004 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0092 by orchidman10, on Flickr

DSC_0091 by orchidman10, on Flickr

#120 ·
I really need to not be on this thread. I bought one as a Christmas present for my wife from Home Depot. Watered it 4Xs in 9mos. the flowers lasted until April. Getting hooked on them now.

Since then I found two out of bloom, marked down orchids one at Home Depot one a Lowes for $4.99 and $1.49. I repotted them in the American Orchid growers mix and a little spagnium moss. They are both rebounding.

You guys have some amazing orchids.

Question - After my blooms are done, am I correct to just leave the flower stalk alone? I would think new buds will grow on the existing stalk? YES?

I'm water with W/C water and it seems to be working well as it does on all my house plants.

#121 ·
It certainly is a dangerous thing!

As for the spike, if you leave, it could throw a branch and give you more flowers. However the display and flowers will be smaller. If you cute the spike then next time it blooms, the blooms will be bigger and more numerous and they will display nicer.

#122 ·
I watched a few youtube videos about this.

I cut the one from last Christmas down to a node. Mr. $4.99 has a flower so I won't touch it. Mr $1.49 is the weakest of the 3, so I removed the spike at the base. The last one does have a new leaf that is growing since I've watered and repotted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.