The Planted Tank Forum banner

ah supply light kits questions

801 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Hoppy 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 36 watt and a 55 watt ah supply bright light kit. these are coming with new 5500k bulbs. are these ok to use or should i get a higher k bulb like 6700k to replace them with later on?

i bought both kits new with the new 5500k bulbs as a set for 95.00 shipped so it was a good deal but wonder about the bulbs being 5500k.

I have never used the ah supply lighting before so i wanted to ask if the 36 watt kit over a 20g tank would be considered medium lighting and would i need to use co2 on the 20h tank to keep it from being an algae problem.

and i have a 65 watt current fixture over a 29g tank now. and wonder if the 55w light would be better than the current brand lighting on it.
i mean is it better lighting or about the same?

#2 ·
AH Supply kits have outstanding reflectors, much bigger than most pre-built lights. That causes them to give a lot more light per watt than most 55-65 watt pre-built lights. I found that a 55 watt bulb on a 29 gallon tank was still high light intensity, and on a "45 gallon" tank was also high light. I now have a 36 watt kit on a 15H tank (same footprint as a 10 gallon, but 50% taller. That light is suspended about 6 inches over the tank, and is probably low-moderate light.

I would expect an AHS 36 watt light to be high light on a 20 gallon tank, as would a 55 watt light on a 20H gallon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.