The Planted Tank Forum banner

Question about hydor inline heaters

789 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  AshNeon93 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been using a hydor 300w inline heater for a few months now, and despite some trouble I had with it at the start its been nothing but perfect, but its coming up to the colder months and I'm worrying about whether it will be okay in my room or if I should insulate it, my bedroom gets cold in the winter, and I mean cold as in you can breathe steam! Its way to expensive to keep the heating on 24/7, will I come across any problems with it being exposed to such coldness? Its only on a 25gallon but I'm thinking the cold might mess with it. Advice or reassurance would be appreciated, Thanks!

#5 ·
Yeah its 25 gallons, 94 litres.

And sorry I'm not sure how to quote more then one person, the temperature definatly goes 44 below my tank, that's if I've got it right that 44F is 4C, and I'm not sure it goes below 55 though, I think I'll insulate the inside of the cupboard its in and keep watch on the temperature, the heater is way overpowered for my tank so hopefully it doesn't struggle. Thanks guys.

#4 ·
It really depends on how cold your room gets if you talking a 40 degree difference between what you want your tank at and what your room is then you might have a problem.

I have 3 of these heaters and I have no such problem but I live in calif.:wink:

I'm thinking you shouldn't have a problem with that size tank though unless your room gets really cold, like say freezing.

I have this heater on my 120 and its in the garage but the garage never gets under 55 and the heater is set at 74.

There is a chart somewhere that tells you how cold it can be in the room compared to the tank, I think it comes inside the box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.