The Planted Tank Forum banner

Custom OTS filter for nano tank

7K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  Charrr89 
#1 ·
I purchased a DBP 3.2 gal "beta tank" that came with a glass top and 4 glass dividers. These unused glass pieces are or will be serving other functions. One divider is currently being used to mount a clamp on LED light fixture that was designed for rimless tanks. The rest of the glass will be cut and siliconed into a clear baffled box that will be powered by a Rio Plus pump and fed by 9mm glass lily pipes. Pics to follow.

#4 · (Edited)
Almost all the components for the filter are in hand. Glass from the dividers and lid have been cut and sanded to size. Joint edges have been taped off and pieces taped together. Purchased the Rio+ 90 pump from LFS and received the 9mm lily pipe set from China (Fischer Chemical). Leftover Ehiem 9mm tubing used to connect output pipe to pump and extend intake pipe to back of filter. Will be using a block of foam as filter media. Will also mount a small LED pennant lamp to the back of the filter box and possibly grow something emergent over the filter media. Maybe Bacopa. Open to suggestions.
Adapter Data transfer cable Adapter Rectangle Battery charger

#5 · (Edited)
Not a filter just yet, more like a recirculation sump. Slapped it together, had to resolve a small leak in the seal and install a valve on the powerhead to throttle the flow but it is now creating a gentle current. Last step is to place a foam block between the intake pipe and the powerhead to act as filter media.

#13 ·
Aesthetics808: because the output is greater than the intake, when operating, the filter box level is about 2" lower than the tank. When I shut down the pump, the levels equalize so there is not an overflow problem. The filter box volume is just less than a liter so if the siphon is clogged and the filter box is pumped dry, the water level in the tank does not exceed the total tank volume. It all works out.

#14 ·
Iwannagofast: the flow is controllable because I installed a valve (came with the Rio + 90 powerhead) in the output side. The filter box side should never overflow because the water level is lower than the tank side when operating. When the pump is turned off, the filter box and tank will seek equilibrium and both containers which are the same height will have equal water levels. The intake pipe end is about 1" below the filter box water level when the filter pump is running. If the water level in the box drops more than that, the intake siphon is broken and the filter will drain down to the powerhead opening. Because the output pipe is still maintaining "siphon" because it is below the tank level, it will continue to run but not "dry". The volume of the filter box when operating in less than 1 liter and will not exceed the total volume of the tank. I know that this a long drawn out explanation but its a good feedback system that I put alot of forethought into when I put it together. Thanks for the concern though, my gf would be so pissed if I got her books wet! (Tank is on a bookshelf)

#19 ·
OTS "Mattenfilter" for DBP 3L

I added a second 9mm glass intake pipe and opened up the valve on the Rio+ 90 powerhead to increase the flow rate. The "emersed" growth experiment on the top of the foam blocks worked with limited growth but because of the increased flow and the look I was trying to achieve was not what I expected, was removed. With this higher flow rate, the debris in this bare bottom tank is blown over to the filter side of the tank making vaccuming the bottom much easier during water changes (done w/ airline tubing rubberbanded to a wooden BBQ skewer).

#20 ·
OTS Mattenfilter Update

The foam pads have become even more clogged with debris from the tank and have slowly reduced flow. Adjusted by opening the the valve more to maintain filter box water level and flow thru the pads.

Still want to try having emersed growth coming out of the foam pads @ the surface of the filter box. The previous attempt with H glomeratus showed only limited growth and was not able to cope with changes in water level that occurred during filter operation. Had success with emersed growth of E tenellus in shaded outdoor tubs so, trimmed a couple of young submerged shoots from another project and inserted them between the foam pads. Hoping for better growth & plant nutrition with the trapped debris breakdown in the pads. :bounce:

#21 ·
Will be using this filter on a tank that will require CO2. Will be placing a small ceramic diffuser under the Rio 90+ intake. If I can get ahold of a 3D printer, would like to fabricate a larger diameter intake pipe & matching output. Anybody have any leads on lily pipe fabrication? :bounce:

#22 ·
Placing the diffuser under the powerhead created clearance problems for the output glass pipe. Decided to place the diffuser under the foam pad "chamber". Hopefully this will increase contact time as the micro bubbles work their way up thru the foam. That's the theory. Will cut a small chamber in one of the foam pads for the diffuser head. May also retain the pendant LED fixture and modify it so the lamp is directly over the foam pads. May also try to grow Hydrocotyle on the top of the pads. :bounce:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
Ordered new Cal Aqua pipes for this filter. Will be replacing the 9mm Chinese pipes w/ 13mm X1s intake & F1 output.

Will connect the output pipe to the Rio 90+ powerhead w/ Ehiem tubing. Still have throttle capability w/ the Rio ball valve that was supplied.

The shorter intake pipe length will allow for substrate clearance in the DBP 3L tank. The wider radiused Cal Aqua pipes also allow for the filter box to be spaced away from the tank and the new lighting fixture leg (previously the tank and filter box were butted against each other).

Along w/ cutting the chamber for the diffuser head, also cut a groove into the foam pad to provide some clearance for the diffuser stem. This will also help stabilized the position of the diffuser.

Used coated wire to pin back the hanging pendant LED lamp to reposition the lighting source over the foam pads. Pics soon. :bounce:

#24 ·
Received the Cal Aqua pipes. Had an unfortunate accident w/ the cone of the outflow pipe impacting the side of the glass box causing the cone tip to chip! So UPSET[emoji37] Anyways, here's the pics. Since the tank will not be flooded for awhile, will be redirecting the outflow into the box and attempting to start Hydrocotyle growth atop the foam. Maybe a Wabi Kusa! :bounce:

#27 ·
Thank you Mott. Hopefully the Hydrocotyle will be a more suitable candidate for the foam growth. Have tried pygmy chain sword & pearl weed in the past with limited success. With the larger diameter glass pipes (9mm to 13mm), the circulation flow thru the foam pads will be slightly greater. Looking forward to possibly flooding earlier so I can test out the CO2 technique of diffusing the gas in the foam block.

On a different note, with the circulation redirected temporarily back into the filter box, the filter is now my smallest "planted tank" I have attempted (3"X5.5"X4" approx. 1L). :bounce:

#28 ·
The filter has been operating for about 8 weeks now & an update is in order.
Changed the configuration & swapped positions of the intake pipe and the output pipe/pump chambers.
The chamber cut into the foam block media for the CO2 diffuser seems to be working well in saturating CO2.
Gave up on the idea of plant growth on the top of the foam pads so, got rid of the pendent light.
Just replaced the Rio+90 powerhead w/ Ehiem compact 300 pump.
:bounce:

#29 ·
The filter has been running for 4 weeks w/ new Ehiem pump. The flow adjustment was set at the lowest setting but the water level in the sump was was always too low. Have just placed a 2nd Cal Aqua Labs X1s intake pipe & readjusted the flow on the Ehiem pump to match the increased input. The in tank flow is now increased & the sump water level is at the proper operating height.
The CO2 diffuser is working as expected. The bps rate of > 0.5 has proven to be ideal. It's not too high (indicator- "burping" of excess CO2 bubbles) & is providing the correct levels of dissolved CO2 (indicators- HC & Monte Carlo "pearling", O2 micro bubbles collecting @ H2O surface & Neos are swimming & behaving normally).
2X Cal Aqua Labs X1s intake & single CAL F1 output pipes

bird's eye view of OTS sump

#33 ·
Sorry for the delay, got caught up in a vivarium project. The filter is continuing to perform its functions as planned. The use of two intakes to match the flow of the Ehiem powerhead seems to be working. The CO2 chamber seems to be operating as designed too. The surrounding foam allows the CO2 micro bubbles to remain in the passing water flow & maximizing contact time.

Cool set-up.
What livestock is in the tank?
Nvm I finally saw the shrimp.

Yeah, just wild Neos for now. May add a male wild green sword later.

I'm glad somebody brought this out again as I had missed it the first time around!

I like your style. do the homework but don't get totally caught up in study so that you never start. I think of all my tanks as temporary or works in progress. If I waited until I KNEW what I wanted, nothing would get done.

Reading through, I wondered how the sponge was working out for ease of cleaning. My thought was that two thinner sections of foam might give good filtering but make it easier to pull and clean the first without disturbing other parts. But then we need a report on how it has been doing?

:wink2:

Cleaning is super simple. Just sliding up the 1st foam pad, rinse & squeeze, and replace is all I do. Can rotate too (move 3rd pad to 1st position & place rinsed pad in 3rd position) but works fine just putting back in place.
The filter has on occasion "ran dry", where the intakes get clogged w/ Monte Carlo sprigs & the powerhead is sucking air due to extreme low water level in the box but a sweep of the intake slots w/ a chopstick returns the box water level back to normal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.