Spring fed pond - Step 5: Building the waterfalls and stream - Page 4
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 06-03-2014, 04:45 PM   #46
jmhk
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
Cool

Spring fed pond - Step 5: Building the waterfalls and stream

Lots of activity in the last week. The pond is finally full, lots of plants in place and we have fish!

Here is the final water level, just have the sump pump running through a garden hose at the moment to provide a bit of circulation. Quite a bit of pollen on the surface, but the water is still rather clear for having no filtration yet.

Collected some free plants from the lake to fill in a bit more:

Sensitive Fern

Pickerel Rush

Eastern Marsh Fern

Bought some Hyacinths

I put 50 rosy red fathead minnows in even before the water level was final. The latest residents for this year moved in on Sunday: 2 Orange Comets, 3 Sarasa White/Red Comets and 4 Shubunkin goldfish.

The newcomers seem to please the existing neighborhood - this fellow came to visit but I hope it isn't expecting a minnow dinner:

Loads of work to still do:
1) Streambed
2) Waterfall Weir
3) Final pump and waterline
4) External Landscaping
5) Dig 5 gallon well for spring water collection/fill.

Here's a quick video to capture the pond in full ghetto mode for posterity... (Yeah, I finally figured out how everyone embeds the youtube mini view window right in the post!)

Last edited by jmhk; 06-03-2014 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: .
jmhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 07:20 PM   #47
pweifan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (58/100%)

This is just outstanding! Very similar to the style I want to setup, I think.
pweifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:14 AM   #48
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Congrats on getting it all filled up! Can't wait to see the waterfall/creek go in, it's going to be stunning!

Btw I wouldn't worry about the dragonfly with goldfish in there. We've had them land on the water, but most goldfish are such little piggies that they'll eat anything that hits the surface. (mine try to eat bubbles LOL)
Little Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:23 AM   #49
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Oh fantastic!

Can't wait to see it with the plants all grown in.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:19 PM   #50
jmhk
Planted Member

Default The sump pump is dead, long live the new pump!

The poor undersized sump pump gave up the ghost on Tuesday. So I quickly put together the first half of the plumbing - the pump, quick disconnect and 1-1/2 inch water line. I just put the other end of the hose between two of the future waterfall/stream rocks, but it doesn't look half bad. The circulation is huge compared to that little sump pump and all the debris in the pond is stirred up. Bad for now, but hopefully good once I get the filter in....

Pump fitting was only available in CPVC, water line is PVC.... you can't glue those two types of fittings together so... Ugh, quite the Rube Goldberg mess

I had to paint it black to disguise it a bit...

So, the pond is still in ghetto mode, but starting to pimp it a bit
Old 06-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #51
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The rubber pvc couplings are awesome for connecting the one way valve (if you don't have one I highly recommend getting one, it's about 60 bucks-thats what I paid the other day, and it helps your pump out quite a bit.) to the flexible PVC. I swear by them, they last for an extremely long time, and I have no water leaks.

Example:
http://www.watergarden.org/s.nl/it.A/id.722/.f

Totally worth the 7 bucks!
Old 06-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #52
jmhk
Planted Member

Wink Step 5: Building the waterfalls and stream

♫You load sixteen tons, what do you get?♫
♫Another day older and deeper in debt..♫

Well, maybe not quite that much, but I still moved at least a few ton of stone this weekend! Here are the supplies I gathered Friday night - from the leftovers when we built a wall 20 years ago...

I started out by cutting away some of the excess liner and getting the underlayment ready to place after moving the rest of the stones out of the work area.

The "Help" - NOT!.... Between Friday and Saturday morning, I must have found at least a half dozen of these helpers. Most were garters, but I also found one lone baby milk snake (or possibly a corn snake??) as I was moving the big flat rocks that had been dug from the pond excavation.

I layed out the first few courses, then put the hose back on it to see if I was getting the desired effect. Looks like it will work well at this height.

After I had the stream nearly built to length, I hooked up the waterfall weir temporarily to see how large the flow would be so I could place it correctly at the top of the stream.

I hope the whole thing doesn't slide down the hill with age and freeze cycles....

The weir was leveled in a bed of sand, topped with a half concrete block for a stable base.

The top will have a load more stones built up around it to make it blend into the hillside - so it seems a bit out of place still. You can see the rock I will be cutting to fit into the spillway sitting just in front of the weir.

I ran out of time and energy, so I still need to foam in all the stream rocks and build up all around the sides and end of the stream. After all, I do need a second job after I get home from work each day . I did at least get most of my edge rocks placed around the pond itself.

Last edited by jmhk; 07-15-2014 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: .
jmhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #53
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

Looking AWESOME!

Are you going to dig out some under the "river" liner to level out some of those blocks/stones?

I'd worry too about them slipping, otherwise.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #54
jmhk
Planted Member

Default Almost a bloom, but instead a dud for the 4th....

Well, my Charlene Strawn waterlily tried, but had no success with the first attempt. It put up a bud on the second of July, but it never opened. A few days later, is sank back under the surface .

Old 07-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #55
Little Soprano
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Don't feel too bad lol. I bought a lily bulb from lowes, put the bulb in a pot, and weighed down the bottom with 4 pieces of stone, and my koi have knocked it off of the shelf a grand total of 5 times. Apparently they just don't approve of my attempts to grow plants other then floaters LOL.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM   #56
Raymond S.
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

In the FWIW category...those snakes are natural pest control and harmless to humans.
The Corn snake BTW is primarilly a mouse eater, indicating a fair supply around.
Of course it's the adults which would eat mice. Say from 20" up.
Sounds like you are familiar enough/w them that you know which kind you are looking at. So you should know which should be removed. An excelent opportunity to teach young people real info about them instead of that mass hysteria BS.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:40 PM   #57
jmhk
Planted Member

As I relook at the picture, I think I was wrong and it actually was a milk snake. Corn snakes aren't usually seen in upstate NY much...

When I was checking out the pond, I noticed that there are tiny fry all over the place. I think the fatheads have been spawning. Hope I mostly get the rosy color, but I wouldn't be surprised if they mostly regress to the natural fathead coloration...