#1 · (Edited)
Tanks size - 800mmx600mmx450mm
2 x Radion XR30W
Pressurised CO2, with Sera reader
Fluval 405- Matrix Bio filter

Aquasoil - Amazonia 2

Strike up date: Fathers Day 2012

---------------------------------------------------

Just coming from SPS dominated marine tank. Thought to set up a freshwater planted, and see how I go growing an underwater garden. - certainly plenty more options for aqua scape variables. Been loving the freshwater buzz so far and thought its time to set up a journal .

Hope I have done this correctly!!

Now time to upload pics - see how that goes - stand by

#9 ·
This is about 3 weeks in - bit of an algae bloom, but the UG seems to be slowly settling in. Any growth and sustainability at this stage was very rewarding. I was unsure if success was going to be achieved with it, as I had heard mixed reviews on its success.

#11 ·
Today I'm going to set up my lights and programme in some thunderstorms! Will post a vid once complete!

Radions with the spectrums adjusted are really giving great growth so far. I had to almost turn off the blue spectrums to he the right light. After all they are designed for marine!!

#14 ·
I'm having trouble loading the vid onto YouTube. I will sort this out with the Mrs I think.

Got a lot of snails, that seem to multiply very quickly. I was killing them off for a while but no great results. - I will post a pic or two when Inge time, but any help on eradication would be appreciated.

I know a Paki loach will eat them up, but I also fear they will eat my yellow shrimp! Any safe suggestions?

#20 ·
I'm dosing only at water changes, half strength only. WC are once a week to once a fortnight, depending on my mood -

Iron
Flourish
Phosphorous

I find dosing full strength gives me algae bloom - to be honest, I'm only dosing as it is said to be the done thing. However all my plants seem to growing at high rates, even when I don't dose at all. High light and CO2 sure do take care of most of it I think!

#25 ·
looks awesome! the UG is coming along quite nice. i keep seeing a bunch of people with really nice foregrounds of UG. how fast did you find it to fill it and/or spread out? ive been thinking about getting some for a tank im planning.

#26 ·
looks awesome! the UG is coming along quite nice. i keep seeing a bunch of people with really nice foregrounds of UG. how fast did you find it to fill it and/or spread out? ive been thinking about getting some for a tank im planning.
Thanks so much!

It grew surprisingly quickly - You can see the small amount I planted on page 1, which was in September this year. So about 3 and a half months from stringey little patches, to now.

I was a little worried in about week 3 as some areas were melting a little whilst others spreading slowly. But it did its thing, and now Im so glad I went with it. They say it takes a while to settle in, but once it does, it takes off. I would have to agree with that now I have grown it.

Good luck with your new build. What size will it be?

#29 ·
Thanks - I'm glad the UG actually grew in nicely, tank mould have looked a lot different with out it.

So far as fish, I actually have about 25 or so in there. They just sit in between all the plants stems and you can hardly ever see them unless its feeding time, or you look at the tank closely. - I actually like it that way, as it gives a very natural feel having the fish just 'hovering' amongst the plants.

I have 2 species/schools - cardinals, and some tetras that are red. Not sure their name. I will post some pics, and perhaps someone will be so kind as to name them for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.