The Planted Tank Forum banner

Newbie planning first small aquascape

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Gamebuggy 
#1 ·
So glad I found this website. I have fallen in love with aquascaping, purely for the plant possibilities...I really have no interest in adding fish at all.
I've purchased a three-gallon mini long tank and the following plants:
riccia fluitans
green foxtail
cardamine pellia
dwarf baby tears
subwassertang

I would prefer to keep it low maintenance if possible and was hoping not to have to provide lighting other than natural light. Am I asking for trouble in not adding light? Is checking CO levels necessary?

#2 ·
http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=hemianthuscallitrichoides
I do think that this is the only one on your list that won't do well without any added light. If you mean direct sunlight, you will be cleaning the glass every other day or
it will seem that way.if you let it have more than 2 hrs of it.
Indirect on the other hand may not be enough for the other plants.
Have not looked it up but a look alike plant that I often see when colecting is
actually a direct sunlight only type of plant and is at least related if not actually subwassertang.

#3 · (Edited)
I agree with Raymond.

I would suggest a complete double check on your plants: at least a couple would want high light, and also CO2 added (so they can take advantage of high light). If you really mean no lights: Indirect light is what you need (maybe a brief amount of direct) to keep algae down/heat down/ Plants can't take advantage of direct light without CO2....

You could use just a desk lamp and a timer to get some more appropriate low light watt level. I have 13w/6 gallon tank for 8 hrs a day. Low light plants: Java ferns (lots of different shapes), bolbitis fern, anubias. However: I do liquid ferts (comprehensive, trace) and liquid CO2; and I have a filter.

The desk light would let you see things better, anyway. :)

Also: i suggest reading Articles, in the Article tab on menu bar of the Planted Tank Forum

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.